Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I just recently had an MRI on my neck. I am looking for a…

Customer Question
hello, I just recently had an...
hello,
I just recently had an MRI on my neck. I am looking for a second opinion on the interpretation of the MRI to compare with the one I received already.
A few months ago i fell awkwardly into the water at reasonable speed when i was kite surfing. i heard a crack in my neck and that night and next day it was quite stiff and painful but after a few days of rest, anti inflammatory and performing gentle whiplash exercises it started going back to normal.
Skip forward to a few days ago i was doing some light lifting, i again felt a pain in my neck and it stiffened up quite quickly and was painful that night (not as bad as a few months ago after the crash in the water). On this occasion i was able to go see a doctor and sent for an MRI.
I don't have any weakness anywhere or tingling etc. Just my neck/upper back feels a bit stiff and sore. mobility wise; I can touch my chin on my chest , it is a little uncomfortable but i wouldn't say painful. i have pretty good range of motion looking left and right and looking up without any discomfort until i get right to edge of my normal limit of movement.
I was prescribed diclofenac for anti inflammatory for 2 weeks, and 5mg Valium to take each night for the next few nights to help the muscles relax while i sleep.
I would like to provide a link to the MRI CD and have an experienced doctor look over the pictures and give their opinion.
should i be taking it really easy and not doing anything or can i continue to do normal activity ? Based on last time i felt ok after about 14 days. Is this too early an expectation?
The doctor that gave the MRI report never really discussed in detail with me the length of time it will take to get better or results i can expect in the short and long term and best practicies to ensure a full recovery.
thanks
Bob
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Orthopedics
this is the link to the MRI CD,What damage do you see on these pictures?thankshttps://www.dropbox.com/sh/4omvf38c3ymyl5p/AABAzS5AJOssZbuBtaM70F3ja?oref=e&n=535538212
2/12/2016
Orthopedist: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

it looks like an open MRI scan of the soft tissue neck, not really focused on the cervical spine, no contrast was used. image quality is not that great. there is a difference between soft tissue neck MRI scan and cervical spine MRI scan.

the MRI scan of your neck is normal. I don't see any bone fractures or hairline fractures of the cervical spine in the neck.

the spinal cord is normal. there is no edema or trauma or swelling to the spinal cord.

there is some tightness of the spinal canal at C4,5, C5,6, C6,7 and there is some fullness of the disks there touching on the spinal cord.

you should talk to your doctor about physical therapy and neck stretching exercises to help improve flexibility in your neck and help improve strength in the neck muscles

you can continue to do normal activity.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

This is Dr. David

you can continue to do normal activity.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

This is Dr. David

you can continue to do normal activity.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

This is Dr. David

you can continue to do normal activity.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

This is Dr. David

you can continue to do normal activity.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

This is Dr. David

you can continue to do normal activity.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

This is Dr. David

you can continue to do normal activity.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

This is Dr. David

that MRI scan looks like an open MRI scan of the neck, not a focused MRI scan of the cervical spine, there is no IV contrast, image quality is not the best.

there is no hairline fracture or bone fractures and no spinal cord damage or edema.

however, there is some narrowing of the spinal canal and fullness of the disk at C4,5, C5,6, C6,7 touching the spinal cord.

you should talk to your doctor about physical therapy for your neck to help improve neck range of motion and to help strengthen the muscles of your neck.

you can continue on with normal activity.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Orthopedist: Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon replied 2 years ago
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon

Dear Bob

I am an orthopedic surgeon and I will be happy to help you today.

I shall answer you after going through your MRI.

Thanks

Dear Bob

Thanks

Hello

Hello

Dear Bob

Thanks

Dear Bob

Thanks

Hello

Hello

Hello

Hello

Hello

Hello

Hi David,
Does this mean you don't think there is any "diffuse disc herniation" ?
Dr.Sawhney,i am not sure which of you is allocated to my question. (im new to this forum) . What is you opinion on the MRI?thanks
bob

This is Dr. David

sorry for the delay.

I think there was some technical issues with the website.

no, I don't think there is any disk herniation.

but the spinal canal is a bit narrow at that level

I would ask for physical therapy for your neck to help improve the range of motion and flexibility of your neck and strength.

.

Somehow I am unable to post anything from my side due to a technical Glitch.

I do not know if you can read what I am posting now but it seems that you are able to read at least part of what we are posting.

I have talked with support and they have suggested that you open a new question in orthopedics category and close this one.

Thanks

Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon