Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

On what I am estimating to be the lateral tibial plateau of…

Customer Question
Hi,On what I am estimating...
Hi,On what I am estimating to be the lateral tibial plateau of my left knee I feel what I presume to be my meniscus. It feels like a fibrous band that runs along the bones plateau. If I run my finger over it hard enough my finger makes a clicking sound and it feels like the band can be manipulated just a little , this happens on my right knee but no where to the same degree . I am experiencing no pain or instability but a bit of stiffness especially on the back of my knee. I'm just wondering if that is the sign of a tear. Thanks46yo male
No history of knee trouble
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Orthopedics
1/24/2016
Orthopedist: Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon replied 2 years ago
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon

Hello

I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.

Hi, On what I am estimating to be the...
Hi,On what I am estimating to be the lateral tibial plateau of my left knee I feel what I presume to be my meniscus. It feels like a fibrous band that runs along the bones plateau. If I run my finger over it hard enough my finger makes a clicking sound and it feels like the band can bemanipulated just a little , this happens on my right knee but no where to the same degree . I am experiencing no pain or instability but a bit of stiffness especially on the back of my knee. I'm just wondering if that is the sign of a tear. Thanks46yo male
No history of knee trouble
23 January 2016 11:52

The band you are feeling is likely to be ilio tibial band.

You cannot feel a meniscus by palpation from outside .

Stiffness in the knee can be due to many different reasons.

These would include mild effusion that is collection of fluid in the knee, changes in the cartilage in knee or injury to any soft tissue structure inside and including menisci or ligaments.

Most people will get relief just by giving rest to the knee, icing it, using a compression sleeve and taking an anti-inflammatory like advil for few days

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

Thank you, ***** ***** there be more of a pronouncement on one side than the other?

It is it is possible that you have a mild effusion inside the knee. That can cause the band to be prominent compared to the other side.