Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Orthopedics

I have a painless lump at the base of thumb, just where it

Customer Question
curves to meet the wrist...
I have a painless lump at the base of thumb, just where it curves to meet the wrist. It's almost as if the bony protrusion is exaggerated there, quite a bit more than what's on the other hand. It is tender if you push on it, but that's about the only time. I'm not having pain and my range of motion seems fine. I spoke with my doctor and had an x-ray. He said he didn't see any signs of arthritis or a cyst. He likened it to tendonitis and an RSI like texting thumb and told me to wear a brace and rest it. My question is, can inflammation make that protrusion seem larger? And if I had tendonitis wouldn't I have pain? I am concerned that it could be something more nefarious and need further evaluation. I appreciate the input!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Orthopedics
1/13/2016
Orthopedist: Dr Basu, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Board Certified Physician

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

This can be a ganglion cyst commonly growing from the tendon sheath.

This can be painful on pressing.

This is a benign condition usually.

Another possibility can be a tenosynovial giant cell tumor.

This is also a benign tumor but can grow rapidly causing significant symptoms.

Surgical removal is the best treatment in that case.

You should consult with a hand surgeon for further evaluation.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Would a ganglion cyst or tumor present on x-ray?

No they will likely be missed.

Ultrasound is better.

Is pain typically associated with either of these, or can they be painless?

Pain may appear later a they grow if not present initially.

Both are benign, is that correct? My main concern is it being something cancerous.

Cancer at that location is rare.

However giant cell tumor can be very aggressive by its rapid growth --can destroy the bone at the location.

So although it is not cancer, but can behave like one!

Best wishes

Thank you very much for your input.

Very welcome

Best wishes

Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Board Certified Physician