How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.Sawhney Your Own Question
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Category: Orthopedics
Satisfied Customers: 7172
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
Type Your Orthopedics Question Here...
Dr.Sawhney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been having pain off and on in my left ear. I've

Customer Question

I have been having pain off and on in my left ear. I've been to the pcp, ear looks clear and no infection. I'm wondering if my gerd is related to this or if it is a result of tension from my neck? I am receiving physical therapy for my neck and shoulder.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.


I am an orthopedic surgeon and I will be happy to help you today.

Please tell me your age and gender.

Please describe in detail your neck related symptoms.

What investigations if any you have had ?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
33 female. Pain in left side of neck, sometimes jaw soreness, pain in left ear, pain around clavicle on left side, pain around left shoulder. Physical therapy has helped with the neck, shoulder pain and tightness but still having some residual ear pain. I've had bloodwork all normal, ear examination normal and pt evaluation which he believes that all of the neck ear and shoulder and related since they are all connected and on the same side.
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Upper cervical nerves C2 and C3 make a contribution to ear.

If these nerve roots are involved in the cervical spondylitis process it is possible to have a pain as part of cervical issue.

You may consider having a drug like Pregabalin for the referred ear pain. This is a prescription drug and only your doctor can prescribe it for you.