Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Orthopedics

I turned my right ankle really badly on October 16 when I

Customer Question
fell off of a curb...
I turned my right ankle really badly on October 16 when I fell off of a curb into the street. I was able to put a tiny bit of weight on it. I couldn't ice it for a few hours because I had to catch a plane, but I did the NSAI and elevation with ice as soon as I could. It is still painful to walk, and I feel like it should have healed more by now. Admittedly, I have been walking on it. I am a runner, and it is really difficult to stay off of my ankle. I sprained this same ankle years ago, but that was a bit higher than the ankle bone and foot that time. I am sending two photos, and would like to know what I need to do to make this heal quickly.
Signed,
Impatient RunnerI'll add photos in a minute.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Orthopedics
Photo 1
Photo 2
10/27/2015
Orthopedist: Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon replied 2 years ago
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon

Hello

I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today .

It seems that you have bruising on both sides of ankle with greater bruising on the inner side of ankle , is that the case?

Did the ankle turn inwards or outwards when you twisted it?

Thanks for responding to my question. I was wearing ankle-high leather boots, and my ankle twisted inwards.
The outside of the ankle is more painful than the inside. Sometimes the foot and the front of the ankle hurt, too.
there is bruising on both sides of the ankle and top of the foot. I. Would be happy to take additional photos if that would help.

I am typing a reply, please wait.

Thanks for your reply.

Bruising around the ankle indicates that it is a higher grade injury. Higher grade injury means that more of ligament fibers are torn. When ligament fibres tear, bleeding occurs and this blood appears as a bruise when the blood clots collected subcutaneously .

2 weeks is not an adequate time for the ligament to heal when ligament injury is of higher grade.

You will need to rest ankle to allow the ligament to heal. Also tie your ankle with an Ace bandage in such a way that it is slightly inverted so that the gap between torn ligament fibers is reduced and they heal quickly. It may take 2 weeks more for the ligaments to heal well.

Once the ligament is healed and you are pain free you can start doing exercises on wobble board to improve joint proprioception and strengthen the muscles controlling motions at ankle.

Feel ree to ask any follow-up questions.

Thanks for spelling this out for me. It sounds like you don't suspect a fracture, at least. Is there some way to keep weight off of my ankle when I do have to walk that won't necessitate using crutches or canes?

The only sure way to rule out a fracture is to get an xray but considering that you have been able to bear weight on the ankle for the last 2 weeks fracture is unlikely as a fracture wouldn't have allowed you to bear weight.

There is no way other than using crutches or a walker to prevent weight bearing.

By rest I mean that you shouldn't be putting too much weight on the ankle.

Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon