Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

I dropped a 45 pound weight on my big toe today around 9 Hrs

Customer Question

I dropped a 45 pound weight on my big toe today around 9 Hrs ago. I was thinking to wait till tomorrow morning to see my doctor and prevent a long wait. But now my toe is throbbing, hurting and beginning to turn purple in places. What can be the possible consequences for waiting to see a doctor today and would you recommend that I go to the Doctor today instead of in the morning.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 2 years ago.

Hello

I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.

The most dreaded complication of unattended injury to a toe is compartment syndrome. Compartment syndrome is a condition where tissue pressure inside the compartment of the toe increases so much that it causes damage to the tissues by cutting of blood supply. These tissues include nerves , vessels and connective tissue.

This is a rare complication in a toe but a complication which must be ruled out if there is a lot of swelling with pain.

To prevent this compication form happening on your part you can keep the foot elevated and ice it until you see a doctor.

I would not suggest that you wait till morning. You should see a doctor as soon as possible.

Thanks