How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.Sawhney Your Own Question
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Category: Orthopedics
Satisfied Customers: 7174
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
Type Your Orthopedics Question Here...
Dr.Sawhney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father is in s mid 70's and went to the doctor

Customer Question

My father is in his mid 70's and went to the doctor for back problems. He does not want cortisone shots. I would like you to look at the MRI reports and tell me what you think of his condition. if you have any other suggestions. He did start seeing a Chiropractor just recently after seeing a physician his options are either surgery or shots.

Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.


I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.

MRI report shows lumbar Canal stenosis at level of l4 L5.

Ideally this should be decompressed surgically or epidural steroid injections may be used to get relief.

But if your father is not agreeable to either, then conservative treatment in form of certain drugs like Pregabalin or gabapentin along with flexion exercises of lumbosacral spine to open up the canal maybe tried. These exercises should be done under the supervision of physiotherapist or a physiatrist who is a MD in physical rehabilitation.

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.