Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Orthopedics

I fell pretty hard a week ago (I'm obese as a side note)

Customer Question
I fell pretty hard a...
I fell pretty hard a week ago (I'm obese as a side note) after twisting my ankle. My ankle is fine now, but my shin is exquisetly painful, bruised, swollen. I am able to walk, move my foot, flex my ankle, and my knee is okay, but the slightest touch on
my shin sends me through the roof in pain! Is a fracture possible? If so, is it something that will heal in time or do I need treatment. I am new to my job and don't have the time to take off. Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Orthopedics
8/28/2015
Orthopedist: Dr. Hasan, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Were you able to walk on that leg after the trauma? What have you tried so far for this injury? Regards

I was able to walk. It was uncomfortable but I worked the remainder of the day. I walk but my muscles in that shin are very fatigued at the end of the day. Even light physical touch takes my pain to an instant 10 with hot, shooting, stabbing pain. The skin is numb to touch, but internally there is pain with touch

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. If you were able to walk, fracture is least likely because it is nearly impossible to walk even with a minor hair line fracture. I think you just have a bruised bone. Don't worry, at this stage, I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations over the counter available tablet Aleve twice daily should be tried for 7 days. Massage the area with OTC Bengay gel twice daily and apply crepe bandage on the shin. Hopefully you will feel better. If symptoms persist then you should get an X ray to be sure but so far I am hopeful that this will not be required. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor