How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.Sawhney Your Own Question
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Category: Orthopedics
Satisfied Customers: 7179
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
Type Your Orthopedics Question Here...
Dr.Sawhney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I 't know what doctor I need, here is my delima: I was

Customer Question

I don't know what doctor I need, here is my delima: I was in a car accident last may and sustained many injuries, the none I'm still dealing with is what we were told a hematoma to my upper left thigh/hip area. it seems to of spread to my knee and up into
my buttocks. it is very painful and no one seems to have an answer for treating it. What kind of doctor do I need to see? the sonogram showed separated tissue/muscle, etc. not sure if that's right or not.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.


I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.

You are probably describing an injury which goes by the name of Morel-Lavallee lesion named after french surgeon who first described it. It involves degoving of large part of skin of thigh and pelvis from underlying tissue with fluid collecting between the skin and underlying tissue as a result of trauma.

Orthopaedic surgeons treat this injury . You may be having difficulty getting proper treatment as this is not a common injury.

I would suggest that you visit Orthopaedic surgery department in a teaching hospital associated with a university .Senior surgeons at these hospitals have much larger experience especially in polyrauma patients who get this injury more frequently.Most of times surgical treatment is required.

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.