Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Orthopedics

Orthopedic question; have lisfranc frcture, broke it june

Customer Question
18th, surgery june 25th, had...
orthopedic question; have lisfranc frcture, broke it june 18th, surgery june 25th, had splint after surgery, got cast on about a week later, cast removed august 4th, got walking boot still NWB until Sept 15th. Started PT 2 days ago: question: there is
significant soft tissue swelling anterior, posterior, and left literal to the incision. The PT messaged it and I have to twice/day to try to break up fluid as it has become hard and localized in the above areas. Also anterior to incision on foot, i could not
feel the TENS mchine on my ankle at all. I can feel other things there like running fingers on it. Is this all normal?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Orthopedics
i can send a pic if needed
i can take other angles if needed
8/15/2015
Orthopedist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Im sorry to hear about your condition. From the pictures which you have uploaded it seems there is significant swelling around the incision site. This swelling can be due to several reasons. The first thing that i would like to rule out in your case will be an infection, considering that there is redness as well in the region around the incision, this has to be ruled out. In your follow up with your surgeon you can discuss this possiblity with him. In addition if you have fever or worsening of the swelling, you will have to see him as soon as possible. If the region becomes tender to touch then the chances that this is an infection are increased.

Post surgical swelling is usually seen in patients for a period of time, however it has already been more than 6 weeks so it should have subsided by now. The numbness that you have mentioned can occur with these type of surgeries due to possible damage to the nerve passing close the fracture site but it can recover with time. from your description it seems that the numbness is not complete as you can feel fingers touching the area.

So in short, i would recommend discussing this swelling with your surgeon because this needs to be examined by him. In the meantime you can try keeping the foot elevated to reduce the swelling.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated J. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor