Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

I got my mri results bak and i researched layman terms wht

Customer Question

I got my mri results bak and i researched layman terms wht they mean however i dont know wht the difference is in the IMPRESSION n allllll the major findings. I would like to ask tht first then i hav other questions.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 2 years ago.

Hello

I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.

Please upload your MRI report here and I will try to explain it.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I only know how to screen shot it ill do that is that good
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here u go thnks a million
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need to add that i broke that shoulder march 2014. I had arthroscopic debridment surgery in Sept 2014. Its gotten worse n cracks constantly w bad pain n limited mobility.

Thank you for uploading the MRI reports and additional information.

Major finding on MRI is that the head of humerus has lost its blood supply probably as a result of fracture in 2014. As a consequence of weakness of bone secondary to loss of blood supply it has started collapsing.

Another finding is that the supraspinatus tendon the tendon responsible for initiating lifting of our arm by our side is thinned out.This may have caused the head of humerus to move a little higher relative to it's normal position.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I kno ur the dr. But it also says i have a slap tear .... Am i correct
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know wht the impression meant. I meant whts causing my pain n can surgery b done to treat it. Ex is there indeed a slap tear
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Y do they write all of that stuff n just a little bit on the impression? Sorry so many questions. Thkn u in advance

Thanks for your reply.

They are not sure about SLAP tear and that is why they have not mentioned it in final impression. MRI is not the best modality to diagnose s l a p tears .

Avascular necrosis is the cause of your pain . It is considered to be stage 3 when double line is seen on MRI.It suggests that bone under the surface of cartilage has collapsed. That causes loss of sphericity of head of humerus and limitation in mobility.Collapse can be painful as well.

The report is written according to a format where detailed findings are followed by a summary.

Core decompression surgery should be considered for the condition.Medical therapy with bisphosphonates may also be considered though it is still not established as a mainstream treatment for the condition.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Last questions..
Is stage 3 bad... Whats final stage?
Y does it cause pain?
It can b sugically corrected???
Stage 4 is the worst stage but at stage 3 an attempt could be made by surgical core decompression to salvage the head. In this an attempt is made to restore the blood supply of the humeral head by drilling holes into dead bone.
It is a painful condition.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You have been the best dr on here thus far. Thnk u!!!!!!
Thank you for your appreciation. It inspires and enthuses me to work harder with just answer patrons.
It would be helpful if you let just answer management know as well when you are asked to give feedback by email or phone.
Do remember to give a positive rating for this answer as we get assessed and paid for our work and time by your positive rating only.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Certainly :)

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry but found this... U mentioned decompression surgery... For stage 3. Wht abt Humeral head resurfacing or Hemiarthoplasty for stage 3.
First attempt is to salvage the god given head.If it cannot be salvaged we always have an option for resurfacing or replacement procedures.
Unlike hip shoulder is non weight bearing joint and core decompression can be considered even for stage 3 disease.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cool ok

I hope that Yuva satisfied with answers I gave you.

Please ask if you have any more questions to ask on the topic.

If you are done do remember to rate me positively as this is the only way we get a assessed and paid for our time and work on this website.