Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Sawhney. I have struggled with chronic pain for the last 10

Customer Question

Hi dr. Sawhney. I have struggled with chronic pain for the last 10 years. I am at the end of my rope...I've tried all kinds of Pain Meds and I have had a Spinal Cord Stimulator and a Microdiscectomy at L5/S1. I also have Fibromyalgia, and have been to rehab twice to get off the pain meds, but I am just too miserable without them. I am up in arms...I just don't know what to do. I want to get back on Percocet while I search for a surgeon that would implant and manage an intrathecal pain pump. What are your thoughts on that?
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
The expert that you requested has not yet responded, so the question has been opened to other experts.

It is impossible to determine over the internet whether a person warrants being on chronic use of opiates. It certainly can be said that it is true there are some people with chronic pain for whom the chronic use of opiates is appropriate, but it is just as equally true that there are clinical situation in which the chronic use of opiates has been shown to make the problem worse over the long-term. One of the condition in which opiates are strongly discouraged is fibromyalgia. In someone with both a spine problem and fibromyalgia, it may not always be easy to differentiate how much of the pain is due to each condition, but that is one of the issues that is considered by the doctor that is examining the patient.

The fact that your doctors have repeatedly tried to get you off the opiates suggests that it is felt that a significant component of the pain is from the fibromyalgia or another condition for which opiates are discouraged. Without being able to see you or examine you, it is difficult to say that is in error. But it can be said that in any discussion with your doctor about resuming the Percocet, you may want to clarify the assessment of the doctor regarding the relative contribution of the spine problem vs the fibromyalgia.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.