Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

During a day procedure to clean out bone spurs and etc. from

Customer Question

During a day procedure to clean out bone spurs and etc. from my rt. shoulder, the physician severed the tendon from the longhead portion of the rt. bicept; that was two years ago. Is it too late to have that complete tear repaired; would the longhead have
scarrd in beyond good repair?
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 2 years ago.
Hello
I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.
It is highly unlikely that the tendon would be in a position where it can be repaired.
Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wasn't worried about the tendon; I was more concerned about the shortening of the muscle over the last two years.
That is the point.Muscle would have retracted and it would not be possible to approximate the two ends of tendon to repair it.
Please appreciate the fact that the repair has to be carried out at level of tendon.