Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

In a recent chest CT scan the report said I had "minor

Customer Question
In a recent chest CT...
In a recent chest CT scan the report said I had "minor thoracic spinal spondylosis". I do have some upper back pain that's been bothersome off and on lately. What is the prognosis for this and what kind of treatment is there? Can it be cured?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Orthopedics
7/19/2015
Orthopedist: Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon replied 3 years ago
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Hello
I am Dr. Sawhney an orthopedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.
The underlying process of spondylosis is disc degeneration which is irreversible and therefore spondylosis cannot be cured.It can be controlled so that pain is reduced.
Main methods to control the condition is to follow good posture and have regular exercise including those to strengthen the muscles of back and abdomen.
Prognosis is good in that in most people pain due to spondylosis can be managed to an extent that it would be an occasional problem only.
Thank you. I am 37. Is this young for this kind of thing? Could it have been from a physical injury? Can I prevent it from getting worse until I am very old?
You are not too young to have these changes as these changes can start around the age of 30 or so.
These are changes of degeneration and are unlikely to be due to any injury.
These are gradually progressive but you mqy be able to slow down the pace of change by following good posture and doing regular exercise. Not smoking and decreasing weight if one is overweight also help.
Thank you. Is this sort of thing life length limiting or debilitating eventually?
Orthopedist: Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon replied 2 years ago
No not really.
Most people will develop spondylosis to a lesser or greater extent with less or more pain during their lifetime without this being any disability to live their life.