Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I live in N.Y. I need workers compensation medical advice.

Customer Question
My name is ***** *****...
My name is ***** ***** I live in N.Y. I need workers compensation medical advice. History: On 7/7/14, a load of steel fell from an overhead crane, weighing approximately 1200 lbs. from approximately 4 to 5 feet high. It fell across my right foot, pinning me
to the floor. As it came down, it had hit a few pieces of angle iron, sending them flying in my pinned direction. I tried to get out of the way, forgetting for a second that I was pinned to the floor, as I fell I struck my mid back (thoracic) against a steel
column. Twisted away from that and finally landed on my lower back (lumbar). The chains were eventually 're'wrapped around the steel by the careless operator who allowed it to fall in the first place and before he can lift........... here comes the 15 pieces
of 1 3/4 " steel pipe I was bundling, across the top of the steel, that still has me pinned, again crushing my foot even more. Finally, as my boss watched on from 30 feet away, the steel was lifted from my foot. I was told I could not leave work because there
was no one to cover for me. So I put in my last 7 1/2 hours on a "double" right foot crush injury. Later that day, I had gone to the drs where I was diagnosed I had a right foot crush injury, with multiple metatarsal fractures. Cam walker and pain meds for
the night. Next day I went to an orthopedist. Cam walker for about 4 months post injury, p/t after 8 weeks post injury for 3 months, graphite shoe plate after 3 months post injury. Lots of X-Rays. I'm now almost a year out and my foot is in chronic pain. I
have a persistent nonunion fracture 2nd metatarsal. Bone marrow edema. Fluid signal all over my foot. There is arthritis in places there wasn't a year ago. For example, 5th metatarsal, and 1st mtp joint. I can't move my 3,4,5th toes, but I can feel this awful
achy burning sensation in them and in my entire foot, ankle and leg to the knee. Dr wants to set kim and I need to know what to expect for future medical. Surgery, meds etc.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Orthopedics
Kim was actually supposed to be MMI.
6/25/2015
Orthopedist: Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

As you know, it is impossible to look into the future and say with any certainty what your future medical and surgical needs will be, especially without reviewing your complete medical record and examining you.
So. What should you do?
I suggest you hire an attorney well versed in these types of cases. She will hire a bevy of experts to review your case and then -- in Court -- they can speak to your possible future disability, medical and surgical needs. The Court will also be able to determine who might be to blame for your injury and how you should be compensated.
Does this make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
I saw my foot and ankle specialist today. He suggests mid foot fusion surgery. I am nervous about surgery because the IME Dr said that I am showing signs of RSD in my foot. And I have heard conflicting reports about doing surgery on a patient's with RSD. Most of them not good.
I do have two other medical condition. GERD. I had Nissen Fundoplication Surgery in 1/15. I am currently on ameprozole bicarbonate 40 mg. 2xs a day. And due to my current physical condition and not being able to work, my primary physician has put me on Xanax .25 mg 1x daily. I also have been as of today been put back on hydrocodone 5-325 mg.
And of course there's the back issues I explained before.

If you like and trust this foot surgeon then I would go ahead with her recommendations.

I wish you the very best.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD