Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

A hairline crack on my patella. the first dr did not see it…

Customer Question
a hairline crack on my...
a hairline crack on my patella. the first dr did not see it on the xray It was seen by the radiologist. I have little swelling no bruising and very little pain. I'm wearing a brace and have been using the leg with no problem. Going back for x ray today. Everything I've read says stay off it. Is this true for all hairline cracks. I am a dog groomer and am pretty active but careful to keep the leg straight.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Orthopedics
5/29/2015
Orthopedist: Dr. Abid, Doctor replied 3 years ago
Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Hi there ...
Hairline fractures heal by itself , rest , pain killers , antinflamtory drugs are just needed .
It usually takes 4-6 weeks for complete healing .
Most of the hair line fractures are difficult to pick on X ray .
MRI Knee is the modality of choice to diagnose it .
As already Radiologist picked it on X ray so yes definitely X ray will help to see recovery .
Regards .
Positive feedback will be appreciated .
Thanks .
Orthopedist: Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon replied 3 years ago
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Hello
I am Dr.Sawhney an orthopedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you.
I understand that your main question was whether you should be putting any weight on your leg with this hairline crack in patella.
You are allowed to bear full weight on your leg with a hairline crack if you are walking with a brace without bending it.A crack on x ray indicates that the retinaculum over the patella is intact and would not allow the separation of bone pieces unless you bend the knee.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.