Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Orthopedics

I'm 30. When I cross my leg over the other, and my knee

Customer Question
moves my calf over to...
I'm 30. When I cross my leg over the other, and my knee moves my calf over to one side, there's a protrusion on the outside of my leg. On the outside.
It's depressable.
It's not a lipoma. I went to a ortho and he didn't seem concerned but was very brief.
Any suggestions on what this could be? Is canccer depressable?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Orthopedics
5/29/2015
Orthopedist: DocPhilMD, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Board Certified Physician
do you have a pic?
I don't. It's very hard to see. It's something more that I can feel if I twist my leg with the calf over my knee. It feels oblong.
Also, my foot pointing down only. But if I rotate my ankle. It goes down.

This sounds like a bursa. These are shock absorbing structures that overly bony parts or sensitive parts of the body. Cancer would not be in this location.

Ok. I was worried about a sarcoma. But it's soft.

No you would have other symptoms. Pain most likely

Ok. Do sarcoma form around the shin on the outside not on the shin bone?

they can but that would be uncommon

Ok. Would a sarcoma bulge but hard?

yes it can do that

Ok but is it typically round or oblong? Hard or soft? Would it be depressable?
I don't know why the orthopedic doctor didn't seem concerned. He gave me cream for inflammation.

They are generally a large semi hard mass. That is why. They usually cause pain as well. They can vary though. I doubt it is sarcoma and so did the ortho most likely. It is impossible to say for sure without an ultrasound but it doesn't seem like a sarcoma

Ok. When I rotate my ankle...the bump goes down. Could this be muscle?

definitely. Or a tendon

Ok. Maybe it's just puffy and when I push it out, it bulges. It canot be seen otherwise. I was very worried. I do have a lipoma adjacent to it. Like an inch away that hasn't changed at all in years so I would assume it would if there was a cancer underneath.

This is nothing to worry about. I'm quite sure of it. Ask your doctor if you are worried

Being depressable is a benign sign?

yes, in most cases it is

yes, in most cases it is

Ok. So a bursa could form over my tendon or muscle there?

correct

Ok. And a shin area isn't common for a sarcoma? I need some reassurance.
If this gets harder, I suppose I can get a MRI

That is correct. It is not. I think I have given you reassurance many times haven't I? I highly doubt this is anything

I noticed that our chat is not complete.
My main goal is your 100% satisfaction and for you to consider this service excellent. If you are not 100% satisfied, just click reply and I will happily provide more information.
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Board Certified Physician