Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Orthopedics

As part of a weight loss program I have started walking

Customer Question
several miles a day. I...
As part of a weight loss program I have started walking several miles a day. I now have pain in the inside arch of each of my feet radiating down to my big toe which hurts when I walk. What have I done? How can I treat it and should I keep waloking or
rest?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Orthopedics
5/15/2015
Orthopedist: Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.
It sounds like you might have plantar fasciitis. The good news? You might be able to take care of this without having to go see a doctor.
Here is some very good information from a highly respected source that you might find helpful:
http://sectionhiker.com/plantar_fasciitis_hiker/
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
I haven't left a rating as the answer did not relate to the symptoms I described and the reply had no substance save for a link to another site. I do not have any heel pain at all therefore this 'diagnosis' is invalid.
Orthopedist: drn.iqtidar, Doctor replied 2 years ago
drn.iqtidar
drn.iqtidar, Doctor
Hi I am dr.Iqtidar another expert here. From your symptoms it seems like you have what we know as "Tarsal tunnel syndrome" or TTS which is due to a trapped nerve. You might have strained your ankle which may have caused it or you may have an underlying medical cause such as osteoarthritis. In this condition the tibial nerve gets trapped causing pain typically occurring in the pattern you have described that it starts from the medial ankle or inner arch and radiates to the big toe.
The only self remedies are wearing wide footwear or insoles that support the arch of the foot. Sometimes this alone brings relief. NSAIDs are usually given such as diclofenac sodium. Later on steroid injections can be tried if pain is still not relieved after months of treatment or pain is too severe. Surgery is needed in limited cases. It would be best to see a doctor to get the diagnosis confirmed and to get further treatment if needed.
I hope this answer helps. If you are satisfied with my answer please leave me a positive rating.
Best wishes,
Dr.Iqtidar.
drn.iqtidar
drn.iqtidar
drn.iqtidar, Doctor