orthosportsdoc
orthosportsdoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Orthopedic Surgeon
67643691

I have pain in my left hip or more precisely just above the

Hi I have pain in my left hip or more precisely just above the joint which gets better as I walk but if for example I lay on the floor and try to raise my bACK UP OFF THE FLOOR I GET EXTREME PAIN IN MY lower back JUST ABOVE THE HIP. If I try to rotate my trunk around my hip to the left I get the pain as well but not if I rotate to the right .
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  orthosportsdoc replied 5 years ago.
orthosportsdoc :

Hi there. I'm sorry you are having a problem with your hip or back.

orthosportsdoc :

Are you online?

orthosportsdoc :

Let me answer for you.

orthosportsdoc :

I am an Orthopedic Surgeon and would like to help answer your questions. Please understand that the information that I provide is for educational and informational purposes and is not treatment or meant to substitute for being treated by a live physician. I get online once a day and therefore please bear with me if you post and I haven't responded yet. I will in due time. Please do not accept until you have had your question answered in a satisfactory fashion.

orthosportsdoc :

Are you otherwise healthy? How long has this been going on for? Did you have an accident or injury?

orthosportsdoc :

Are you an active 66 year old? How you would rate the pain?

orthosportsdoc :

In general, it sounds like it could either be hip pain or lower back pain. Is the pain in the back of you? To the side? Or in front?

orthosportsdoc :

Low back strain is a possibility and that is very common. Also, bursitis of the side of the hip is common.

orthosportsdoc :

Do you have groin pain? Pain in the groin is a hallmark sign of arthritis of the hip joint.

orthosportsdoc :

Please provide additional information and I will try my best to help.

orthosportsdoc :

Please understand that I run a busy practice and therefore only get online at night so bear with me if you respond and I don't get back to you until the evening. I will get back to you after you respond. Thanks.

Customer:

Yes i am healthy.I golf a lot and i think the pain began after a golf game,3 weeks ago.No pain unless I try to rotate my body thru to the target and then the pain is sharp.Pain is on the side but more toward my lower back on the left side. No groin pain. If it is an injury from swinging a club how long should it take to dissipate? I didnt notice it until a day or so after my game. If I just shift my hips left, no pain. More when I try to rotate my trunk to the left,no pain if I rotate to the right. Walking seems to loosen it up and in fact it begins to go away but still cant rotate to the left. When layng in bed on my stomach it hurts when I try to turn to lay on my right. Onc ei do there is no more pain. hope this helps

Customer:

Actually now that I have walked around for awhile the pain is on my left side just above the joint

orthosportsdoc :

So it sounds like a low back strain from golfing. 90% of low back pain resolves within 3 or 4 months without the need for aggressive treatment such as surgery. The most important thing about low back strains is to do gentle activities and to try and keep your range of motion. There is a misconception that bedrest and completely shutting yourself down will allow things to heal. With the back that is not true. If you do that you will get stiff and have a lengthy recovery.

orthosportsdoc :

Activities such as short walks or swimming are great for the back. The key to preventing back strains is to have strong core muscles such as your abdominals, trunk, and chest. The weaker your core the more stress goes through your back.

orthosportsdoc :

Heat is preferable to loosen up the back. Ice can be used if it is really inflamed. It sounds like it is already getting better.

orthosportsdoc :

Typically it is a 4 to 6 weak ordeal for a mild sprain. If the pain does not improve or if it worsens. Since you are 66, it would be smart to get into see a physician who can examine you and take xrays. Most 66 yr olds have some arthritis and degeneration of the back. It would be good to see how bad or severe yours is particularly as a baseline if things worsen.

orthosportsdoc :

I hope I have answered your question in a satisfactory fashion. If not, please let me know what additional questions I may answer. Thanks.