Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I’ve asked this before and I guess I’m just scared at this…

Customer Question
I’ve asked this before...

I’ve asked this before and I guess I’m just scared at this point. I’ve had neck and ear pain for over two months that won’t go away. I, of course have read the worst possible scenario, hypopharyngeal cancer. I’m 26, did smoke but quit over two months ago. I physically feel horrible and I’m convinced that this cancer ha spread thru my body. I’ve had a chest and head and neck cat scan, they say they are clear. I’ve had a CBC done several times, all normal, I e lost some weight and feel hungry and never seem full. I know I sound like I’m losing it and I do feel very down because I’m in fear of the worst. I guess I don’t understand why I would continue to have pain in my neck and ear it this wasn’t something terrible. I’m getting an endoscopy this week but feel like if I don’t eat weight won’t stay on. If you could clarify anything that would be great.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I’ve been to the doctors, have had chest and head and neck cat scan. Was told car scans don’t see cancer?? So of course I’m freaking out

Submitted: 8 days ago.Category: Oncology
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/5/2018
Oncologist: Dr. Hasan, Doctor replied 8 days ago
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am reviewing your question and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

I am head and neck cancer surgeon. Would you like me to call you or would like to stay on chat?

Customer reply replied 8 days ago
No

Ok do you have any symptoms like nasal blockade, nasal discharge, difficulty in swallowing, change of voice etc?

Customer reply replied 8 days ago
Nasal discharge, no change in voice, blood in nose

You mean you have blood in nose?

Customer reply replied 8 days ago
ENT said I had post nasal drip and acid reflux but I don’t know how that could cause this neck and throat pain

What are your questions regarding this problem? Please clarify because this way I will be able to help you in a better way. Regards

Customer reply replied 8 days ago
blood in nose when I blow it but that just started

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. First of all, I would like to reassure you that cancer in your case is out of question. Even without CT scan, I can say with 100% confidence that you can't have cancer because head and neck cancers never start with pain. Pain occurs in the last stages where cancer has already been diagnosed. I diagnose and operate cancer so please trust me. Your negative scans also make this clear. Now the blood in the nose is mostly due to allergies and other safe causes. you should use over the counter available tablet Claritin once daily and Afrin nasal spray, 2 puffs thrice daily for 4 days and if symptoms persist, see your doctor, however, I reassure you again that cancer is out of question. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

Customer reply replied 8 days ago
I would think and hope that if I did have any tumors or cancer it would show up in these scans. I just don’t know why I’m in pain and I’ve read scary things on the internet that talk about late stages and I keep thinking that’s why I’m in pain.
Customer reply replied 8 days ago
I know that sounds probably crazy but I just keep thinking the worst

Anxiety itself can make someone feel pain or it can be a neurological pain. You should see a psychiatrist first. I do send people to psychiatrist and they do very well in getting rid of this problem. I give you my words that you are just stressing yourself and there is no cancer in your case. Regards

Oncologist: Dr. Hasan, Doctor replied 7 days ago

Anything else you want to ask? Please let me know. My best wishes and prayers will be following you for a good health. Please remember to rate my answer as this is how we get compensated for our time and effort here for you. Regards