Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

What are the symptoms of a PICC line slipping out of the…

Customer Question
What are the symptoms of...
What are the symptoms of a PICC line slipping out of the vein?
Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Oncology
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
What are the symptoms of a misplaced PICC line
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/26/2018
Oncologist: Dr. Nina Lim, Doctor (MD) replied 26 days ago
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Doctor (MD)

Hello, my name is***** and I am internal medicine physician.

PICC line malposition, depending on where it ends up, can unfortunately lead to serious complications

For example, PICC tip positioning in the right sided chambers of the heart can lead to arrhythmia or irregular heart beats. PICC malpositioning can also lead to phlebitis (inflammation of the blood vessel) and thrombus or clot formation - this would present as pain and inflammation over the site of the blood vessel and if there is a clot, there may be swelling of the affected arm.

Of course, even without malposition, having a PICC line can put a patient at your risk for developing sepsis/ blood infection. Site insertion infections can also happen.

I am available for any follow up questions that you may have.

If you were satisfied with my response, please consider giving me a 5 star rating so I may get credit for assisting you, thanks.