Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Feeling nauseous. The first time I felt nauseous was about…

Customer Question
Feeling nauseous. The first time...
Feeling nauseous. The first time I felt nauseous was about two weeks ago and that was after interacting with someone that was sick. But I kept thinking about it and decided not to eat that day because I kept thinking I was going to get sick. Later I started eating normally after and going out more. But now I started thinking that I was sick again and started feeling nauseous, I’m not sure if I’m actually nauseous or it’s just the feeling in my mouth or if it’s just all in my head and I’m making myself feel this way. I’ve been drinking water, eating alot(if I don’t think about it), bowel movements are normal and no blood in stools. If I don’t eat then my stomach starts growling and feel hungry but I feel scared of the nausea or of vomiting. I haven’t vomited from it though. I do worry about health a lot and I do prefer if everything is very clean and everything in order and not being close to people who are sick. I use to work in a hospital which made me more like that. I know it’s not good to google but when I googled symptoms it just told me the worst things and made things worse. Usually when I wake up in the morning I feel like a dry nasty taste in the mouth so I rinse my mouth out and drink water, but also honestly I haven’t really been brushing much. Do you think that’s the reason? Also the whole feeling isn’t really in the stomach it’s more in the back of the mouth where I feel like throwing up but I take my mind off it and It doesn’t happen. What do you think it is? Is it all in my head? Or is there something wrong??
Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Oncology
4/2/2018
Oncologist: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 19 days ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Well if you have been eating alright then it shouldnt be anything too serious . Generally if there is an underlying liver or stomach related cause of nausea then it usually affects your appetite too .

I would like to know if you wake up with too much saliva or acidic taste in your mouth ? Any issues like burning or reflux or indigestion ? Do you take any medications on a regular basis? Any addictions like smoking , alcohol or use of any drugs at all ?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Depends if I think about it then I don’t eat too much because I think I’ll be sick but other times I eat plenty. Like last night I had a full meal didn’t think about it too much. When I wake up it’s a bit dry because it’s hot I guess and it’s just a nasty Taste I’m not sure if I’d say acid or not. Usually id gargle water and spit it out I guess a bit of dehydration. I do have heartburn sometimes depending on what I eat and it’s usually when I wake up in the morning I feel it, i smoke and drink alcohol sometimes.
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I also drink a lot of water

Alright if you take alcohol in moderation then it shouldnt hurt your system much . I would recommend you to take an antacid like omeprazole 20 mg once a day 20 minutes before evening meal . It would help suppress the acid in stomach at night which should help with the taste in the morning . Would also recommend you to use a good mouthwash as it can help cleanse every corner of the mouth as opposed to toothbrush . Preferably use mouthwash at bedtime .

Would not recommend anything too aggressive at the moment as it seems unlikely to be a problem . If it continues to persist then its a good idea to get your liver function tests done.

I hope it helped.

Let me know if you have any more queries

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Ok and if a person hasn’t been brushing much is that also a cause? What do you think about Prilosec ?

Prilosec is good ,it contains omeprazole . Yes oral hygiene plays a vital role here. It can lead to bad taste and thus nausea too

Hope it helped.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Stay blessed.

Regard

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I haven’t really been brushing but I always also felt that way about it could be because I haven’t been brushing.

Yes i think you need to address this issue and see if it makes a difference . I hope it will

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor