Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

57 years old --I did routine blood work Jan 2018 my CA

57 years old --I...

57 years old --I did routine blood work Jan 2018 my CA 27.29. was hi 41.6 it was 39.0 in June 2017 six months prior. Does this mean I have breast cancer ?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have breast pain that comes and goes and itchy episodes - I had a mamo and a sonogram -- dense breasts but they found nothing

3/26/2018
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

If you meant CA 15-3 levels for breast cancer then a value of 27.29 perfectly falls within normal limits. Rise in the value rather then drop is suggestive of probable cancer . Moreover the higher the values are the more strongly they correlate with the risk . So even a value of 40 with no significant lumps on mammogram is completely fine. So no concerns there.

Hope it answers your query

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
No I did not mean Ca15-3 -- the test is called CA 27.29.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
are you familiar with the CA 27.29. Blood test?

So what are your latest values ?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Feb 2018---CA 27.29. blood test was 41.6
June 2017---CA 27.29. blood test was 39.0

Well Elevated CA 27-29 levels can be seen in healthy individuals, in benign conditions, and in other malignant conditions (see below). CA 27-29 levels tend to remain relatively stable over time in benign conditions. Thus, an elevated level needs to be interpreted within the context of the your history, physical examination, diagnostic imaging, and laboratory workup finding. As your mammogram was unremarkable and the values are pretty stable so in my view there is no chance of a cancer there. There are several reasons for an elevated value e.g

So just relax . No cancer there.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
thank you

You are welcome.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Stay blessed.

Regard

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor

we don't use blood tumor markers to tell if you have cancer or not.

they are used for patients with known metastatic breast cancer as one method of assessing response to chemotherapy treatment.

so if your mammograms and ultrasounds don't show breast cancer in your breast, you shouldn't be getting these blood markers.

and inflammation in your body can cause them to be elevated and not from cancer.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
My primary orders 7 pages of blood & urine tests each time I visit -- I have been getting that test since 2015 -
Mamo and sonogram were clear but right Breast is itchy and nipple and areola area I get shooting pains.

your primary care doctor shouldn't be ordering these blood tests. they don't tell if you have breast cancer.

are you using moisturizers on your breast after you shower and twice a day

dry skin can cause itching and nipple sensitivity.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
its only in the right and the itch is not on the skin it feels deep inside --

the breast is a sensitive organ.

and inflammation of nerves and hormone changes in your body can cause this itching.

how severe is this itching sensation on a scale from 0-10?

do you have bad anxiety symptoms?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
itch is about a 4 some times its a tickling sensation -- the area closes to the nipple is a bit puffy when nipple not erect --the areola area of right & left look different when not erect . If it was anxiety would it be both breasts. the pain feels like a needle jab more discomfort that pain and not constant. I am constantly aware of the right breast some times a pulling sensation inward. Its make me stressed

bad anxiety symptoms can make you worried about small symptoms.

the nipple and areola can change from time to time from temperature and your mood, so changes of the look is normal.

it could be a pulled muscle behind the breast causing these symptoms.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Its not a pulled muscle as I have had this since last august ( had a sonogram aug 2017 as it was too soon to do a mamo). I have tried to relax but these is really stressing me and its all I think about. My primary ordered some more blood work yesterday hormones and another CA 27-29 . I am beginning to not trust the primary as he just seems to email 7 pages of tests and never explains anything, I had a sonogram and mamo in January 2018. That radiologist told me I could come back in this week,,,which I will do. I have tried to search the internet for a doctor and works on breast issues but every listing is cancer or breast reconstruction.

to you touch and feel and press on our breast frequently, this can cause nipple sensitivity and pain.

if you have declines of your body's estrogen level, this can cause changes and atrophy of your breast tissue and shrinkage of your breast and breast sensitivity as well. this can occur after menopause.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Could this test results have anything to do with my breast pain/ itch ?
My Vit D was low
ANA Screen Positive
ANTI-SSA. 6.5 HI Neg=<1.0 AI
ANA TITER (IFA) 1:80 HI <1:80 Titer
ANA PATTERN = HOMOGENEOUS AND NUCLEOLAR
PROGESTERONE 0.21 Postmenopausal. <0.14
ESTRADIOL 19.89. Postmenopausal <5.00-51.60
Can u recommend a doctor in NYC that could help me.

your ANA positive screening may need more testing by a rheumatology doctor to see if you may have an autoimmune disorder.

your ANA titer is low, so you may not have an autoimmune condition.

are you close to a large academic medical center like NYU or cornell weill or Columbia medical centers?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I am in Manhattan

you should see a rheumatology doctor because of your positive ANA

you can also see a nerve doctor like a neurologist to get nerve testing of your breast to see if nerve pains is what is causing your breast pain

if your anxiety symptoms are bad, you may need to see a psychiatrist for treatment for bad anxiety symtpoms

but you don't have breast cancer causing this breast pain.

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Will see all 3 -- Never seen a psychiatrist before but will give it a try -- I pay 1300 a month for medical just for me might as well use it.
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)