Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I noticed an enlarged submandibular node about 3 months ago.

Hello,I noticed an enlarged submandibular...
Hello,I noticed an enlarged submandibular node about 3 months ago. I poked and prodded like crazy out of anxiety. I then got over my anxiety and stopped for about 2 months.THEN my 17y/o cousin was diagnosed with Stage 3 NHL. This of course peaked my anxiety again and I poked around for another 3 weeks before seeing a doctor.He scheduled an US to calm my nerves and now a FNAC is being performed Friday. Can you offer some insight? I can attach US report.Thank you for your time!
I have attached Ultrasound report.Thank you again in advance
3/26/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will be assisting you today.

I will review the report and get back to you

Thank you, ***** *****

It appears that you have a slightly enlarged lymph node in the submandibular region as you stated. Usually lymph nodes with a "fatty hilum" as stated in the report are not concerning. However, getting a fine needle aspiration is the only way to know for sure.

The FNAC will involve a small needle that is passed into the lymph node a few times to obtain some cells from the lymph node. These cells will be examined under a microscope to help give you a diagnosis. Usually takes a few days to get the results depending on the facility. Hope that helps.

I was under the impression that 2.9cm is relatively large?Side note: I do not have any symptoms other than fatigue. No fever, night sweats, weight loss, etc.In your experience can you put odds on a FNAC of this sort coming back malignant?
Also, how reliable is FNAC? I've read that it's not always conclusive
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

This is Dr. David

I see you opted out the other expert.

2.9 x 2.2 x 0.6cm submandibular lymph node could still be 100% benign

it can be swollen because it is a reactive lymph node

or from your prior touching and pressing on the lymph node.

I bet the biopsy will show it is benign .

Thank you for your response. I've read through previous posts of yours regarding nodes.What insights lead you to believe that it's benign?

the size, the fatty hilum, your age, your history of poking and prodding the node

I'm trying to think of symptoms that might indicate a virus, but I haven't had anything other than mild allergies that I can think of. The size seems to be quite large although I'm sure that's contributed to size.
In your experience can you put odds on a FNAC of this sort coming back malignant?I also raised concern above of FNAC. I've read that they're not always conclusive.

allergies can cause a swollen lymph node under your chin that size.

you are not a cancer doctor.

it is normal in size.

less than 2% chance it is malignant.

I bet the fine needle aspiration will not show signs of cancerous cells in the lymph node.

Lol, you're totally right - I am not. Just want to ensure I understand everything. My primary was short and non-descriptive, which lead me here.I respect your opinion, trust your judgement and appreciate your time

you are welcome

let me know what the biopsy shows

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)