Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I would like a second opinion. I've seen my GP and still…

Customer Question
Hi, I would like a...
Hi, I would like a second opinion. I've seen my GP and still feel like I don't have the answers to my issues. I've been experiencing a strain/pain/pressure type feeling in the left side of my chest (under my left breast, I think it's in the chest or back of breast) and it was coming and going for a while but the last few days it has been constant and worsening slightly. It's not a bad pain, it kind of feels like I have strained something or there is a bit of pressure but I'm not sure.I am currently breastfeeding my 4 month old and have 11yr breast implants.My doctor tested the strength in my arms to see if it was muscularskeletol but it didn't hurt when it did the tests and he asked me questions to see if it was heart related or breast related and concluded that it is maybe heartburn since I got this when I was pregnant. However it just doesn't feel the same as heartburn.I'm REALLY worried, I just don't feel right. Could it be breast or lung cancer?? Please advise what you think it could be and what I should do next.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Oncology
3/26/2018
Oncologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 3 months ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Chest pain is one of the most uncommon symptom of breast or lung cancer.

You may ask your doctor to get a chest x-ray and an ultrasound to resolve this fear.

That should be the first step.

The pain is likely to be musculoskeletal as it is commonest cause for chest pain for women who are feeding.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you. I forgot to add that 8 weeks ago I had a breast ultrasound to check my implants and the ultrasound came back normal. Would a chest x-ray show up breast cancer and lung cancer if there was a tumour? or is that not the most reliable test?
Could I get lung cancer at my age? Would it show other symptoms? Does an ultrasound see behind the breast, more in the chest? It feels quite deep like it's either behind the breast or in my chest area.
if it was muscular would it still hurt when resting? The feeling is constant discomfort regardless of what activities I'm doing and at rest. It's a mild discomfort and just annoying, not severe.

Chest x-ray, if comes normal will rule out lung cancer.

Ultrasound being normal, it rules out breast cancer, as it cannot come in this small duration to cause symptoms.

Musculoskeletal conditions like costochondritis can cause pain in rest.

Acid reflux and esophageal spasm are the commonest cause of chest pain.

Lung cancer in your age is extremely rare.

Ultrasound can see beyond the breast too but x-ray is better test for it.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

When you say chest X-ray do you mean just a standard chest X-ray not a CT scan?One more question if it was lung cancer would I get other symptoms or not necessarily? Could pain on its own be a sign? Judy really worried still

Judy,

Chest x-ray means, standard x-ray.

Lung cancer has severe symptoms like cough and weight loss.

Was this information helpful to you?

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.