Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 24 year old breast feeding mom and I noticed This…

I am a 24 year...
I am a 24 year old breast feeding mom and I noticed This lump in my breast, it gets smaller after I nurse or pump, but it doesn’t go away, and it still feels a little firm but not hard , could this be cancer?
3/26/2018
Dr.K.Das.MD
Dr.K.Das.MD, Doctor (MD)

Welcome and thank you for your question.

No, this lump is not cancer.

It is a palpable breast gland. The breast has abut 20 simple glands which convert blood to milk. While breast feeding, one or two may become enlarged and can be felt as a firm lump in the breast. The lump will decrease in size after breastfeeding or pumping once the milk is secreted from the gland.

A cancerous lump would not decrease in size under any conditions.

I hope this helped.
Let me know if you need more information.
If not, please click on a positive rating ( 5 stars) to leave feedback.

Thank you.

It still feels kind of hard even after nursing and pumping, it is also mobile

If it is still hard after nursing, please ask your doctor to order an ultrasound of the breast. While, it is very likely to be due to an enlargement of the breast gland, an ultrasound will help confirm the fact and rule out a tumor.

I hope this helped.

Thank you.

Dr.K.Das.MD
Dr.K.Das.MD, Doctor (MD)