Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My bloodwork is all normal except for elevated alkaline

Customer Question
phosphatase at 128. In November...
My bloodwork is all normal except for elevated alkaline phosphatase at 128. In November I had a partial hysterectomy which led to a pelvic abscess which led to sepsis. I was only hospitalized for a week but was on heavy IV and then oral antibiotics and remained on them through early December. Looking back at my ALP the week I was hospitalized, it was normal (100-112) every day and then the last day before discharge it went up to 125, then in December was 135. Last check up was Feb 25 and it was 128. Bloodwork from 2 or so years ago it was 85-90. GGT checked and normal, as well as CBC and CMP. Should I be concerned? Dr. Google says when GGT is normal elevated ALP=bone cancer, lymphoma, etc...
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Oncology
3/23/2018
Oncologist: Dr Uzaer, Cancer Surgeon replied 3 months ago
Dr Uzaer
Dr Uzaer, Cancer Surgeon

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Your ALP still lies within normal range and considering your history fluctuations are expected. In cancer or lymphoma it rises to very high levels so nothing to worry about.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

I forgot to add I had several chest/abdominal CTs while hospitalized and they were all normal
The paperwork from the lab states that the normal range for ALP only goes up to 115.

Normal Ct is reassuring, it is considered normal upto 147 so no worries at all.

Thank you. It’s jaut odd that different places/websites have different normals. There are several that have 98 as a high for women. Do you think my levels will go back down in time? It has been almost 4 months now since my illness.

Yes, i think it will go down and in case of active disease, it is much higher so yours are considered normal with everything else being normal.