Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My mom had a ct done of her spine c2-l3 after an accident…

Customer Question
My mom had a ct...
My mom had a ct done of her spine c2-l3 after an accident and the reading said “bones have a mottled appearance may represent treated metastasis , area of lucency on lateral aspect of t1, suspsicious for metastisis.” She had hodkins in her 20’s and received full mantle radiation. 17 years ago she had breast cancer as a result of the radiation. Could these changes be related to the radiation? She never had Mets to her spine with either cancer
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Oncology
3/22/2018
Oncologist: Edgar Rubio Villegas, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

Dear *****ient, YES, the radiation generates an osteoporosis in the spine associated with high radiation products and has the speckled appearance in the CT scan, I believe that you should not be alarmed since these are images that are expected to be found in a patient who has received radiation.
However, as a protocol, a cintigram or bony SPECT should be suggested as a protocol to confirm that these lesions have no activity.
but from your family member's record, you shouldn't be alarmed until you have the results.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.