Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Just had a core biopsy done last week (ultrasound guided)

Just had a core...

Just had a core biopsy done last week (ultrasound guided) and the radiologist was certain it was cancer (bi rads 5). Pathology back this week no cancer. Radiologist tells my personal physician he wants to do a stereotactic (sp) biopsy 3/29/18. I'm fine with that. What are the chances this is cancer? I haven't seen the path report but apparently there was no hedging about it; no cancer. Your thoughts?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes,

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My paternal grandmother died of breast cancer in 1960 at age 50. I have a sister who has had two benign breast lumps removed. I am 68.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Diagnosed with micro calcifications 20 year ago. Told I have dense breasts. Menopause at 55 and no children. Called back two or three times in the past 20 years for more mammograms and one ultrasound.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Radiologist said he saw no lymph node problems and the lump or mass was very small. I have felt nothing.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I counted 8 clicks during the core biopsy.
3/21/2018
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great.

sometimes biopsies with a needle can miss an area of cancer in the breast

some surgeons feel better performing a small excisional biopsy or small lumpectomy to take out the area to know for sure if there is cancer there

I would get a copy of your mammogram report.

I would be happy to help you review it.

BIRADs 5 means the radiologist really is worried about you having a breast cancer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he was concerned and told me so. But, damn, then it comes back no cancer. My personal ob/gyn said he was optimistic cautiously but I should get the next biopsy. Which of course I will.

it sounds like your doctors will not let you fall through the cracks which is good

it sounds like you are in good hands with your doctors

I am a cancer doctor

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. I feel the same. Just not out of the woods yet.

you are welcome

thanks for the positive feedback

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)