Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

For the last 3-4 weeks ive been having pain on my side. This…

hello, for the last 3-4...
hello, for the last 3-4 weeks ive been having pain on my side. This was around the time i played basketball and did some pull ups after being inactive for a long time. like tenderness area above my hip and further to the side. I also have teh feeling of unwellness, like its hard to explain, just weak like i need to eat something. That's been going on for the same amount of time as the pain. The pain only hurts when i press on it but i looked at it in the mirror and i see bruise spots from where the area hurts. I don't know if its from me pressing on it alot or what. I had xray and ultrasound done which came out negative. I'm scared if this is leukemia or something because of the bruising and weak feeling. I do have a history of anxiety which is obv but I just dont feel like myself and I don't know why.
3/20/2018
Dr Uzaer
Dr Uzaer, Cancer Surgeon

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

This seems to be related to muscular spasm and bruise can be due to repeated pressing over the area. A normal x-ray and ultrasound are reassuring. I would suggest taking advil and massage the area with warm olive oil and give it some time, it will get better in one to two weeks. It does not sound leukemia so do not stress yourself.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

hello dr, how do u know its not something seriously wrong? the bruising isnt a scary sign? i also have no fever which i here fever comes along with a high wbc. Also, what can be contributing to my unwell feeling?
also the side pain has been going on for almost a month now

Yes, leukemia is usually accompanied by low-grade fever as well and high wbc count. If it is more than a month then do get complete blood panel as well and bleeding and clotting test to rule out anything like bleeding disorder .

youre saying there is a chance for leukemia?

No, leukemia is not likely I am saying get tested for bleeding disorders like low and dysfunctional platelets.

Whenever i do get a cut, it heals rather quickly. what would be some chilling signs of something wrong like leukemia or lymphoma? the pain in my side feels like its not getting better. like when i feel my right side compared to my left, it feels more swollen. like i feel tube like sensations, like swollen striated muscle. i feel the same tubing on the left but without it being as prominent.
i could deal with the side pain but what bothers me is the unwell feeling i get. as if im dehydrated or something. wouldnt that be a sign of anemia? funny thing is, when i spoke to you or someone thats calming, my sick feeling goes away.

All your symptoms can be due to anxiety especially feeling of being unwell that is why it gets better when some one reassures you.You are taking stress regarding this issue i think.

you dont think i have anemia or anything serious from what i explained of about my symptoms?

It looks more like anxiety and do not sound anything serious so do not stress yourself.

isn't the bruising alarming at all? the bruises look like finger placement. but why would it bruise? and how confident are you in ur diagnosis? sorry for all the questions.

I can not give you exact diagnosis here just by description. From the whole discussion, it does not sound anything serious, you might have pressed it hard, otherwise, ultrasound or x-ray would have picked something.

they would have picked up something seriously like leukemia or lymphoma? possible from organ enlargement?

Yes.

why does it seem so serious to me what im feeling but to an outsider its really nothing to worry about.

Because you are anxious.

in your opinion i should stop thinking its anything serious based on your expertise?

Yes.

Please do not forget to click on 5 stars at this point.

if i may ask, you are persian?
you will get 5 stars of course

No , I am not.

Best wishes.

one more thing, in regards ***** ***** nodes. could that be whats hurting my side? or youre positiev it muscle? it feels liek the pain is coming from the last couple ribs.
when i take a xanax, all my ill feelings dissipate. will this unwell feeling run its course and leave eventually?

There are no lymph node in that region which cause pain.

Dr Uzaer
Dr Uzaer, Cancer Surgeon