Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I'm very upset and concerned. My dad had bloodwork done and…

Customer Question
Hi I'm very upset and...
Hi I'm very upset and concerned. My dad had bloodwork done and it came back with his immature gran at 4 and his immature gran abs is 0.3. His wbc was normal at 7.7, platelet count normal. His hemoglobin and hematocrit normal. Is this an indication of leukemia?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Oncology
3/18/2018
Oncologist: Doctor Jennifer, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Doctor Jennifer

Hi, I'm Dr Jennifer.

Probably not leukemia; you can have a rise in immature granulocytes also as the earliest response to infection. But in fact up to 10% bands is normal, so his cbc looks like it is normal.

What symptoms is he having, if any?

Hi Dr. Jennifer, my dad's been complaining about being very tired, to the point where he cancels our plans which is very unlike him. His bloodwork also showed he had gout and hgA1c was 7.6. We started him on meteor in so he has a lot going on. He also has COPD. I'm very close with this particular doctor he felt this was an indication of leukemia as her mom had the same symptoms. I questioned the fact that wouldn't his wbc's be elevated and she said all along her moms cbc was normal but in fact her mom had leukemia. I was just shocked that she would right away blurt that out.

Well, we physicians are guilty of having traumatic experiences stick in our brains, also. Perhaps she is super careful not to discount leukemia because of her experiences. But in any case, your dad should have a peripheral smear examined by a pathologist (his blood literally smeared on a slide so they can see the cells easily), which will give you better answers.

You may also want to consider that he may be having trouble adjusting to getting older and having more and more serious medical problems, and it may be getting him down. Offering support to him and checking in to see if there's a social worker or counselor he can check in with affiliated with his usual MD.

Does that answer your question? Let me know if I can clarify anything. If you're satisfied with my service, please consider giving me a 5 star rating!