Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I had an abdominal ct scan done on Tuesday. This is the

Customer Question
report. Should I be concerned...
I had an abdominal ct scan done on Tuesday. This is the report. Should I be concerned about the cyst in my lung? Also what does the hounsfield density of 15 mean? Technique: Routine abdomen and pelvis CT is performed following administration of 95 cc Isovue 300. Coronal and sagittal reformatted images are obtained.Findings: The lung bases are clear. A small hypodensity is demonstrated in the anterior left hepatic lobe. This measures 1.0 cm in greatest diameter and yields a Hounsfield density of 15. The remainder of the liver has a normal appearance. The gallbladder is normal. The spleen is unremarkable. The stomach is partially distended but otherwise normal. The pancreas has a normal appearance. No adenopathy is demonstrated. No inflammatory changes are seen within the abdominal intraperitoneal fat. The adrenal glands are normal. Both kidneys demonstrate normal size and configuration with normal perfusion. The proximal ureters demonstrate no abnormality. The visualized spine is unremarkable. A very small fat filled umbilical hernia is present. No evidence of seroma or other mass is demonstrated in this region.Impression: Probable small left hepatic lobe cyst.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Oncology
3/16/2018
Oncologist: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago
Connie Pennington

Hi, I am Dr. Pennington. I am a surgeon. The density categorizes density. This is a reliable cyst, meaning nothing to worry about. Basically this is a normal CT scan. Hepatic cyst is not an issue. You do have an umbilical hernia. Basically nothing to worry about, should ease your mind. Hope that helps!

What does the hounsfield density of 15 mean? Could an umbilical hernia filled with fat be in my belly button? I have an incision from 5 months ago that has turned to a rock solid lump that won't heal.
Oncologist: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago

The Hounsfield scale, named after Sir Godfrey Newbold Hounsfield, is a quantitative scale for describing radiodensity.
The Hounsfield unit (HU) scale is a linear transformation of the original linear attenuation coefficient measurement into one in which the radiodensity of distilled water at standard pressure and temperature (STP) is defined as zero Hounsfield units (HU), while the radiodensity of air at STP is defined as -1000 HU.
It is the definition for CT scanners that are calibrated with reference to water.

The above standards were chosen as they are universally available references and suited to the key application for which computed axial tomography was developed: imaging the internal anatomy of living creatures based on organized water structures and mostly living in air, e.g. humans.

The HU of common substances

The Hounsfield scale applies to medical grade CT scans but not to cone beam computed tomography (CBCT) scans.

Show

entries

Search:

SubstanceHU

Air-1000

Fat-120

Water0

Blood+30 to +45

Muscle+40

Contrast+130

Bone+400 or more

Showing 1 to 7 of 7 entries

Show

entries

Search:

HU

Lungs-950 to -550

Kidneys+20 to +40

Heart+40 to +100

Liver+50 to +70

Spongiose Bone+50 to +200

Compact bone+250 to +1000

That may have not pasted well. The Hounsfield units tell us about the characteristics of a lesion. A cyst is simple. Easy.

What incision did you have 5 months ago?

I had a surgery to take out some ovarian cysts and she went in through my belly button and it just hasn't healed right that's why they did the ct scan
Oncologist: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago

Oh OK. Well the CT scan is otherwise fine. The little umbilical hernia can be fixed, but would take a small surgery. Sorry.