Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

A few years ago i had a cyst removed from my eye lid corner…

Customer Question
Hello;A few years ago i...
Hello;A few years ago i had a cyst removed from my eye lid corner area.
It was actually located right where the upper and lower eye lids meet on the side of the nose. the removed cyst was a clear liquid filled cyst.
After a while it started growing back and now it is even bigger than the first one and a few weeks ago it started bothering me.
I went to an eye specialist this week who said that this time the liquid is not a clear liquid and he also sees something that looks like a blood vessel and has therefore scheduled me to have it removed by him in less than 2 weeks time.
When i raised my concern about cancer he disregarded it by saying that it is a fluid filled cyst and not tissue growth.Of course i am very concerned and I would like to ask the following:
1. Is it correct that a fluid filled one will not be cancer?
2. what significance does the fact that it has a blood vessel or not clear liquid have?
3. Generally, what is the chance that something like that grew back is malignant considering the location of the cyst, my age and all other factors that can make a difference.Please see attached image of location.Thank you
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Oncology
Please see attached image of the lid lesion (this is how its documented)
The black is just make up...
3/16/2018
Oncologist: Medicaldoctor, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Medicaldoctor

Hello and welcome to Justanswer,I shall be consulting you today.

Yes it is correct that cysts that have fluid inside them regardless of the color are not cancerous.

Cancerous growths are very different from the benign ones and they distort eyes lashes,ulcerate and bleed.

On examination they can be differentiated from benign cysts.

Having a blood vessel or the fluid can be simply due to inflammation that happens and fluid won't be clear is there is some degree of infection.These features don't suggest anything malignant.

Your cyst is at the site of tear duct.Which drains tears from the eyes and any obstruction there can block the tear duct and result in cyst formation.It does not seem suspicious or concerning.

The exact diagnosis is always confirmed by removal of cyst and histopathological examination.

But from its appearance,location and features it is most likely a benign cyst.

You shouldn't be worried.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Please do leave a positive 5 star rating by simply clicking on the stars on top left or bottom corner of this thread.

You are not charged for rating positively.I'll be here for any follow up questions
Thank you.

Best wishes

Do you have any questions for me?