Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have a spot on the inside of my face cheek. It has borders…

Customer Question
I have a spot on...
I have a spot on the inside of my face cheek. It has white borders which feel rough when I touch it with my tongue. The center seems smooth. The white ring (borders) are a bit raised on the one segment of the circle. It is approx 2 mm. I have had it for about 7-10 days. I keep touching it with my tongue so I know I am probably irritating it. It does not bleed. It has not hurt at all and still does not hurt. I am a 50 year old female. I don't smoke or chew (and never have). I drink 1-2 glasses of alcohol per week. I am overweight. I have not been the dentist for about 3-4 years. I don't know if has changed in appearance since I got it because I only looked at it with a flashlight for the first time yesterday. But based on touching it with my tongue, it does not feel like it has changed. I have uploaded two pictures. They are not the best pictures because it is hard to photograph. It looks like a symmetrical ulcer with borders but it is not going away like an ulcer would. I am concerned that it is oral cancer. Will you advise?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Oncology
3/15/2018
Oncologist: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 1 month ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

it doesn't look like a oral cancer.

it could be scar tissue or granulation tissue from irritation of your teeth.

that could be were the salivary duct comes out in your mouth from your parotid gland.

you can see a doctor or dentist and get it checked

the photo is not that clear

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think it is concerning?
So you strongly recommend that I get it check by a doctor or dentist?
If it happens to be where the salivary duct comes out in my mouth, what does that mean?

it is not concerning for cancer

you can see a doctor for next scheduled exam.

it could be 100% normal

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you think I can wait until my annual appt or should I go in now?
Any answer on what you mean by could be where the salivary gland comes out of mouth?

yes, you can wait for annual appointment.

there is a salivary duct which exits into your mouth on the inside of your cheek.

that could be the area of the duct.

it doesn't look worrisome

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks

you are welcome

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)