Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I had surgery last year which led to an abscess/sepsis in my…

Customer Question
Hi. I had surgery last...
Hi. I had surgery last year which led to an abscess/sepsis in my abdomen. I was very sick and the abscess recurred. All is well now, however my question is about the amount of testing I underwent in the hospital and then as an outpatient. I had 4 separate multiphase(oral and IV contrast) abdominal/pelvic CT scans within 4 months. I was doing some reading and this is a huge amount of radiation. Am I in danger now of developing cancer or something of the sorts? I’ve had other imaging studies as well throughout my life including a coronary CTA and a brain CTA, etc... so this was not my first exposure. I’m 42 years old.
Read Less
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Oncology
3/9/2018
Oncologist: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Estimating the risk of developing cancer from a particular imaging exam is difficult, because of availability of limited epidemiologic data. However, there is definitely a consensus in the medical society that the risk is real, but very small for an individual.

In general, lifetime attributable cancer risk model predicts that 1 in 1000 persons exposed to 10 mSv (equal to one CT scan) will develop cancer.

American Society of Radiologic Technologists has an online radiation risk calculator.

You can click this link and assess the risks.

http://www.xrayrisk.com/calculator/calculator.php

Was it helpful?

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

If you have any queries/clarifications --- do ask.

Thanks for visiting JA !