Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My mother has stage 4 colon cancer. It spread to the liver.

They operated on her and...
My mother has stage 4 colon cancer. It spread to the liver. They operated on her and removed the tumors from the colon. Now it’s only in the liver. What’s your opinion on whether or not she should get a liver transplant. I know they are experimenting with it right now in Norway as a better option than chemotherapy. And I know it’s not with great results but maybe better than chemotherapy. What is your opinion?
3/9/2018
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I know your mother doesn't want to have more chemotherapy.

is her colon cancer extensive in her liver or in one small area?

she may be able to have chemotherapy infusion into her hepatic artery which can attack the cancer in the liver more than the rest of her body

after liver transplant, she will have to take immune suppressing drugs which will cause her cancer cells to grow back

Is the chemotherapy infusion a one time visit? Or is it a number of sessions

for liver chemotherapy infusions, it is usually a few infusions into a special hepatic artery which leads into the liver.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Hi. You were right. We just got back from India where they said a liver transplant would not be good. But since my mother didn’t want chemo, they gave her chemo PILLS. They said those should have few if any side effects and are about half the strength of regular chemo.
Any thoughts?

what chemotherapy pills? xeloda? capcetabine?

Xeloda. 500 mg. 2 in morning 2 at night. 15 days on 10 off

yes, that is oral 5FU

I have told you about this chemotherapy before.

I know you did. Thank you. How good is that for her? And side effects?
we bought six months supply from India. After that would she be able to get it here in the US? And how would she go about it? Would she just go to her doctor and tell him this is what she’s been taking? And can he prescribe it here?

she has to see a medical oncologist who can prescribe it to her here in the USA

but if her cancer grows while she is taking the xeloda, it may not be the right chemo for her.