Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

WHAT EXACTLY IS a oncologist? Sister just went thru TONS of…

WHAT EXACTLY IS a...

WHAT EXACTLY IS a oncologist?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Sister just went thru TONS of tests then referred to a oncologist. I believe IT has to do with the treatment

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
tazechip
tazechip, Other

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

An oncologist is a specialist medical doctor that evaluates and treats patients with cancer--either with chemotherapy or radiotherapy or both depending on the type and extent of the cancer

Please let me know if you need any more information

SHE HAS NEVER been one to address nor take ANY kind of proper care nor follow up.
Had MAJOR heart attack years ago and 1 stint placed in. Smokes 2-3 packs of cigarettes for YEARS. Has COPD, emphysema, overweight, etc

I understand but did you need more information?

I AM sole responsible person that will now have to be sole caretaker. SHE is 75, I am 64 and MUCH more aware + experienced with life's complexities and illnesses. SHE is of the mindset ( like OUR entire family now deceased) that IF you ignore pain and
Symptoms of everything, "IT" will simply disappear. After going thru the extensive testing and waiting "28 1/2" hours in the EMERGENCY ward of the hospital then only 23 hours on the cardiac floor, that SHE is IN the clear and THIS experience was a NORMAL occurrence. WHEN informed SHE HAS to follow up with the Oncologist, SHE thinks HE is only a GP with HIS own practice. I am merely trying to GRASP ALL + ANY info as to WHAT SHE will be presented with and I will know JUST what I need to be of the BEST supporter. I KNOW when addressed with ANY possibility of ANY stage of cancer, SHE WILL immediately SHUT DOWN. I SIMPLY desire to understand the possibilities of ANY treatment so I can understand and GUIDE HER to believe positively and be of the ABSOLUTE best at aiding HER thru EVERYTHING going forward. In essence, ALL + ANY info would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank You SO much for your help. Sincerely, Richard

Richard do you know why she's being sent to an oncologist?

I stayed to a technician without HER KNOWING THAT "I" found it odd with ALL HER ailments and ignoring DOCTORS for years, that EVERTHING came out normal in test results. HE simply said in a serious manner "OH" SHE HAS problems and HER DR. WILL inform HER. I was NOT at the hospital WHEN the Oncologist visited and informed HER that SHE needed to see him WITHIN a week. SHE does NOT know what and WHEN to inquire as to the HOWS and WHYS. THUS ME wishing to understand WHATEVER lies ahead. HER results state various findings on tests stating some irregularities as WELL as certain results PENDING. THE fact that AFTER 4 times having EXTENSIVE blood withdrawn in less then 8 hours, a nurse came a fifth time explaining HE NEEDED ONE more vial so that THEY could "confirm" whatever they found. THIS is when I perked up whereas SHE was just upset about being "poked" ALL anyone thereafter would only say that when SHE sees the oncologist HE would explain. Thus bringing ME here.

I understand Richard

But exactly what more information can I give you about this?

34;I" am needing to know basically that IF a patient is REFERRED to a Specialist in the field of oncology, IS THIS a first step in possibly being informed as to the findings of a cancerous matter, OR merely a alert as to WHAT NEEDS to be done to hopefully
Prevent IT. I MERELY WANT to understand what SHE may be "IN" for as to going forward. I again WILL BE the person caring for HER and just desire to BE on BOARD so I can assist in explaining what lies ahead.

Actually if I were going to refer a patient of mine to an oncologist it would be because I had found evidence of cancer in tests and studies and I would tell her exactly why I was referring her to the oncologist

Most times it's not a case of does she have cancer but more a case of she needs the oncologist to further evaluate the cancer and to design a treatment program

That is MY dilemma. NOT ONE of the Dr's
OFFERED ANY info as to the possible findings. I was of the mind that a bed staff member of ANY clout should/would advise + elaborate. ALL that was stated IS that we are referring you to THIS type Dr.
I am aware as to WHAT their practice of specialty entails, BUT since I am the SOLE
person responsible for HER NOW medical issues, I merely WANT to understand the possibilities SO that I can be in the position of being the BEST supporter. IF SHE hears OF ANY mention of serious care, SHE WILL SHUT DOWN and WANT to
Ignore it. SHE has a VERY OLD fashioned closed mind that truly borders on ignorance. Thus leaving ME to be fully knowledgeable to all/ANY follow up treatment.

I understand but I've told you what an oncologist does so what more information do you need?

APPARENTLY NOTHING. Thank you for the response.

My pleasure and call on me anytime

tazechip
tazechip, Other