Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I recently had an US OF my legs. The findings was no DVT.

I recently had an...

I recently had an US OF my legs. The findings was no DVT. THere were some reflux in both legs and subcutaneous fluid in the calf area of my right lower leg. Incidentally they found enlarged lymph nodes in groin and upper thigh areas both legs measuring 3.2 cm and 2.6 cm. It was classified as pathological enlarged lymph nodes. What can cause this. He also found some in the sides of my neck and underarms. Just so concerned where I had breast biopsy about 8 months ago which came back nearly normal breast tissue with microcalicatiins. Could this be related to it in any way? I have had what I have been describing as a cold for months that I just can’t seem to get over. Fatigue, weight loss and every time I eat, my stomach hurts and bloats out a lot. Been also having trouble and extreme pain in my lower left quadrant in the area of the descending colon every time I have a bowel movement. My legs have never hurt me so bad in my life. Two days ago I started having severe pain in both of my big toes and the nails have cracked and are almost completely gone. Pus was running out of them. I spent the day in the ER all day yesterday. I have night sweats and have absolutely no energy at all and not getting much sleep because of the pain. I had a huge abscess under my left underarm about two years ago which had to be incision and drained. It came back MRSA on the biopsy. I also had positive MRSA nasal swabs on numerous occasions and pneumonia caused by MRSA LAST YEAR. I spent 22 days in ICU where I had double pneumonia, walking pneumonia, sepsis, encephalopathy, fever of 106.5 and abnormal spinal tap. I am just overwhelmed with worry and was wanting your opinion on what could be happening with me

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

I just found out all of the his last night at the ER

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am a type two diabetic

2/25/2018
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The ER doctor refered me to a podiatrist as soon as possible. Put me on Clindyamiocin 300 mg every eight hrs for ten days. He also found enlarged lymph nodes in my neck and armpit area. My RBC WAS LOW AND MY HBG WAS 12.0 and my HCT WAS 35. WBC WAS 8 so that was normal.

Microcalcification in the breast cannot cause enlargement of the lymph nodes.

Clindamycin may help in resolving groin and thigh lymph nodes as even a minor infection of the skin, subcutaneous tissue in the lower limbs can be responsible for it.

Enlarged lymph nodes does not mean a serious disease.

A biopsy or an aspiration biopsy cytology (ABC) will clinch the diagnosis.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They recommend biopsy of the lymph nodes because of the sze of them. I have been experiencing flu like symptoms since September with swollen lymph nodes in neck on both sides and then down lower toward my

A generalized lymphadenopathy in diabetics can be caused by even subtle infection / low grade infection. So your symptoms and lymphadenopathy can be explained by it.

The other causes of various lymph nodes enlargement are;

1) Epstein-Barr virus,

2) cytomegalovirus

3) megaloblastic anemia

4) histoplasmosis,

5) tuberculosis

5) hyperthyroidism

6) sarcoidosis,

7) amyloidosis

8) lymphoma

9) leukemia.

Biopsy is the best investigation to ascertain the cause.

It is privilege assisting you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sides of my neck toward shoulder blade level. Extremely sore and swollen. Then I noticed my arm spits were really sore and could feel some there too. I have been so fatigued and absolutely no energy. Both of my legs cramp extremely bad constantly. This is not like me at all. Told my primary doctor last month that I have stayed sick with flu and cold like symptoms and just can’t seem to get over it. Could this possibly be non-nodkins lymphoma? What would be the most obvious signs of that? Something is definitely going on with me, I just don’t know what yet. But it’s not good. What kind of dr do you recommend that I see and who should I let do the biopsy of my enlarged lymph nodes. I already recently had a huge abscess under my left armpit. The MRSA also concerns me and with me being a Diabetic already I am terrified of loosing my toes which he said had cellulitis. I don’t heal well or fast ever since I became a diabetic.

A general surgeon would be the specialist to do the biopsy.

There are no definite symptoms by which lymphoma can be diagnosed.

Just your present infection can also cause generalized lymphadenopathy.

You may need culture of blood.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It the area in my breast that they biopsied has turned into cancer, could it not cause lymph nodes to become enlarged if it is spreading through my lymphatic system ?

This is unlikely as it would have first given you a breast lump.

I think you are worrying unnecessarily.

In all likelihood this is infection responsible for generalized lymphadenopathy.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your advice. I do have a breast lump that was biopsy around 8 months ago. He decided it had to be biopsied just from the mammogram alone. I ask for ultrasound or diagnostic mammogram and he said there was no need for those further test because he saw enough suspicion on the regular Mammograms. They will no longer be doing mammogram on me. Said I needed MRI OF BOTH BREAST YEARLY. MAYBE I AM OVER REACTING BUT MY MOM HAD BREAST CANER 25 yrs ago so I still have the trama of the day that they told us. They put a needle in her breast and did X-rays and told us that it was 90% that it was not cancer. Then the gloomy and sad face said it all when they came to the waiting room to tell us that it was Cancer. My whole world stopped. Didn’t mean to bother you. I just needed some knowledge and advice of what might be going on with me and the steps I should take from here.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also have tumor on my right ovary that has been there for over ten years so I have so much on my mind of what might be going on. Hope you can understand my concerns and asking for advice on what I need to do next.

You are very welcome.

You may get a magnetic resonance mammogram (MRM) with your family history and to resolve the anxiety.

But with your symptoms, and other manifestation, it is likely to be infection as a causative.

A biopsy of the groin lymph node would be the first step.

You may need following blood work;

Complete blood count (CBC)

Liver function tests

Thyroid function tests

Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR)

Serum electrolyte level measurement

Immunoglobulin M (IgM)/immunoglobulin G (IgG) coxsackievirus B titer

IgM/IgG human herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6) titer

IgM/IgG C pneumoniae titer

Autoimmune panel

Anemia panel.

Blood culture.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much!! I will definitely have my dr to peform the above lab test with a probable biopsy of the lymph nodes that are greater than 2 cm. The Er dr had actually tried to get up with the surgeon that day. He seemed very concerned. I don’t have the best of health and I can’t fight anything off anymore. I would much better stay on the safe side. Thank you so much for your help and advice. How much do I owe you?

Please click on the rating button.

That would pay us.

Wishing you a speedy resolution.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How much do I owe you at this point

The charges are determined by the site administration and we experts are not involved in it.

We are only paid for time and expertise when we receive a positive rating by the customer.

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

God bless.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)