Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have had diarrhea, narrow stools and stomach cramps for…

i have had diarrhea, narrow...
i have had diarrhea, narrow stools and stomach cramps for two weeks and I'm scared i have something wrong. i am an otherwise healthy 46 year old woman
1/21/2018
tazechip
tazechip, Other

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Any fever or abdominal pain with this?

no fever just gas more than usual and occasional stomach pains
im a very nervous person so my head goes to colon cancer because narrow stools and change in bowel situation
I've never had a colonoscopy

I understand but this doesn't sound like colon cancer to me

It could be a viral gastroenteritis but having gone on this long it's more likely to be bacterial as in E coli, salmonella or C diff

For now you can try oral probiotics, a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water twice a day, plenty of juices and the BRAT diet of bananas, rice, applesauce and toast

But you should see your doctor for an exam and a stool culture since you probably need a course of oral antibiotics for this

Please let me know if you need any more information

narrow stools do not mean that i have colon cancer?

No, not if they're just starting to occur--colon cancer doesn't act like that

well, i have on and off narrow stools for 2 years now but i imagine i would have more symptoms? what are better indicators that something could be colon cancer? symptom wise just so i can sleep??

If this had been colon cancer for that long you'd have chronic abdominal pain, weight loss, probably blood in your stool and chronic constipation

the diarrhea I'm getting on and off is usually after i eat something and then in am its a little better but always back after i eat. slight pain on lower left side also

The other possibility could be an H pylori bacterial stomach infection so you need a stool screen for that and it too needs antibiotics

But nothing you've told me makes me think of colon cancer

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

tazechip
tazechip, Other
tazechip
tazechip
tazechip, Other