Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

To get mesothelioma from asbestos how much does one have to…

to get mesothelioma from asbestos...
to get mesothelioma from asbestos how much does one have to exposed to it? can you get it from asbestos siding outside the house? how about asbestos tiles on the floor? or paper/asbestos pipe insulation on pipes in the basement?
1/20/2018
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

How much were you exposed?

don't know spend quite a few hours in basement etc...

It needs to be repeated exposure over time

day in and day out over many years in the vast majority of cases

is this helpful?

I read that even one exposure can give you lung damage, even one fiber is no good. Is there any study supporting this? can even moderate amount in the form of work on your house be a problem? trouble is you can not see it or smell it. Its the ultimate unknown.
it is currently on basement pipes and looking to buy another home with asbestos shingles.

You can have damage from it

pleural fibrosis

but not mesothelioma

that usually takes more exposure

Is pleural fibrosis curable? what are the symptoms?

No it is not

shortness of breath and cough would be the only symptoms

ok thanks

was this helpful?

ok good

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor