Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I’m worry now that I found out the risks from ct scan I had…

I’m worry now that I...
I’m worry now that I found out the risks from ct scan I had 3 ct scan in the last 6 years for different reason and all of them were normal 2009 I had abdominal ct with and without contracts then 2012 I had neck ct scan then 2 weeks ago I had chest ct scan to check for books clot on my lungs I went to Er for chest pressure after all test they did the last thing they have to do ct scan for my lungs I was surprise they say to look for books clot because they did blood work and it was little be elevated to make sure and now after all this ct scans I had I’m worry for the radiation that I had is it mean I will devolop cancer in the future ?? I’m so worried plz help me
1/18/2018
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Please see this study done on 31 462 patients with 22 years of follow up considering the cumulative radiation dose and estimating the chance of cancer;

http://pubs.rsna.org/doi/full/10.1148/radiol.2511081296

Please see figure 3;

This describes the cumulative lifetime risk of 4-5 CT scan is around 0.13% more than the general population.

So this is not significantly high.

Though you may avoid further CT scan unless there is pressing need to reduce back the risk.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I had 3 ct 2 of them were with dye with contract and without contract is that double it to 5 ct
I’m still worry I don’t know why they do ct scan for patient if it will cause them harm in future .

While there is a very tiny risk of cumulative radiation doses of these CT scans, the risk is too small to lose sleep over it.

It is privilege assisting you.

K dr thanks

You are most welcome, Dona.

A positive rating would be appreciated.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr when I asked u when I had lung ct to look for blood clot they do ct I hear them do it 2 time is that mean they double the dose of radiation how many mvs do they give me ?

CT scan is one time only even for the blood clot. It is high resolution CT and doses with CT using conventional examination parameters are 3-27 mSv, and 0.3-0.55 mSv using low radiation dose CT settings.

How can I know how much they use on me? Go to hospital and ask ? And how this was bad for me in future should I be concern to cause breast cancer or lung cancer since I had*****befor

Yes, you can ask the facility.

As we discussed earlier, risk of cancer with these CT scans is extremely low.

I’m sorry to ask again I’m just been paranoid So even if I had high doses of radiation now and in the past my risk still very low

Yes, as the 22 years follow up had determined, people who have less than 6 CT scan have less than 0.13 (less than quarter percent) chance of cancer. So your risk is extremely low.

A positive rating would be appreciated for my time with you.

K dr thank u for your help I’m sorry for too much question

You are very welcome.

Wishing you all the very best.

No problems about the questions.

Thank you.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)