Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

I have a groundglass lung nodule which has been 5,6, then…

I have a groundglass lung...
I have a groundglass lung nodule which has been 5,6, then 7mm in last 3 years so that my md will probably be ordering me several more ct scans in next years. I'd now like to use shielding but 3 NY/NJ hospitals tell me contrasting opinions about its effectiveness both generally and for me. Should I use it or not? And both abdominal and thyroid?
1/18/2018
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

yes, abdominal lead shielding vests can help reduce radiation exposure if you have to get a chest CT scan

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3473701/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16875333

thyroid shielding helps as well

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've been told,by one Med tech at MSKCC that the thyroid shield,would get in the way of the beam of the chest X-ray and then increase the radiation exposure. Is this true? At Valley Hospital I was told by a Med tech that all shielding increases radiation exposure. But you think it is helpful.
Phone call session started

thanks for the phone call

You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)