Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

A very recent follow-up CT SCAN showed a 4 mm noncalcified…

A very recent follow-up CT...
A very recent follow-up CT SCAN showed a 4 mm noncalcified lung nodule on my anterior L upper lobe. It was characterized as stable from the prior CT SCAN of July 2017, but that it has increased in size from the March 2016 CT. The report also said of the nodule that "This is nonspecific".I have an appt with my Oncologist in a few days, and would like to know what I should be asking him relative to this report (he ordered the CT). What does the "nonspecific" mean.My Lung Cancer History: Diagnosed with nsclc in early 2011, stage 3A. I underwent chemo and 7 weeks of radiation in 2011. I had a UR lobectomy in Dec 2011. I have had CT scans at least every 6 months since then. I have never had nodules on CT since then, though I have had pneumonia twice. All help greatly appreciated!
Should also mention that the report suggested a follow-up CT Scan for me in 3 months.
1/17/2018
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Hi Bill. How can I help?

I wrote my question several hours ago. Did you get my written question?

Yes, I did.

Do you have a copy of the report?

A very recent follow-up CT SCAN showed a...
A very recent follow-up CT SCAN showed a 4 mm noncalcified lung nodule on my anterior L upper lobe. It was characterized as stable from the prior CT SCAN of July 2017, but that it has increased in size from the March 2016 CT. The report also said of the nodule that "This isnonspecific".I have an appt with my Oncologist in a few days, and would like to know what I should be asking him relative to this report (he ordered the CT). What does the "nonspecific" mean.My Lung Cancer History: Diagnosed with nsclc in early 2011, stage 3A. I underwent chemo and 7 weeks of radiation in 2011. I had a UR lobectomy in Dec 2011. I have had CT scans at least every 6 months since then. I have never had nodules on CT since then, though I have had pneumonia twice. All help greatly appreciated!
17 January 2018 01:3717 January 2018 01:46

Yes but do you have a copy of the actual report?

I don’t have an online copy. However, I covered everything relative to the nodule in my statement. Plus, I gave you my cancer history which is not in the report.

Thank you.

Non specific just means that they can't say for sure it is related to cancer or not.

the good news is that it is isolated to the lung, no lymph nodes are enlarged and it is very small (4 mm)

So overall it looks good to me

Re: Lymph nodes. Nothing in report said anything about lymph nodes at all. Well, it is 4 mm now, but that doesn't mean it might not be 2 or 3 cm in a few months.

Yes, there was no lymph nodes. That is a good sign. That is what I am saying

I agree it could grow but things are looking good now

Should there be a biopsy now?

No it is too small

a PET scan would be helpful though

cancer would light up on a PET scan

ask for that

OK. Thanks.

welcome :)

was this helpful?

The PET scan is the best option

it is non invasive

if the nodule lights up, then it needs taken out surgically

immediately

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor