Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I had 4th stage leiomyosarcoma in 1990. My oncologist

Customer Question
I had 4th stage...

I had 4th stage leiomyosarcoma in 1990. My oncologist retired. In 2016 I had papillary thyroid cancer and surgery that took my cranial 10 nerve and my jugular vein. My question is this. What other organs could develop cancer due to over exposure to radiation or extensive chemo?I’d like to know what to look for but can get no answers where I live. My thyroid cancer was not even checked at my oncologists. It was found by a new primary doctor within 5 minutes of my first exam. Thank you

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes. I keep all of any visits I go to now. But for 10 years I went to an oncology group who in the last two years changed their focus to only women’s issues below the waist! I only have records of their negative Pap smears and exams. Since that was the area of my first cancer they were apparently not concerned about where else cancer might show up.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had chemo that became a protocol for my disease since I was in the 1% survival rate. It was called the “ MAID” messnex adriamycin iphosphamide and one other I can’t recall that starts with a d. I had a double port and was in hospital for 5 days each treatment times 8 treatments. Radiation was 25 treatments. I subsequently lost a kidney due to stenting. The primary tumor was wrapped around my ureter. It had spread to over 40 tumors in my uterus. Had full hysterectomy. Have recurring small bowel obstructions due to scarring.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Oncology
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 4 days by:
1/22/2018
Oncologist: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am a radiation oncology cancer doctor

I wish we were able to predict where next cancers would come.

I'm not sure if your thyroid cancer was due to your prior leiomyosarcoma uterine cancer treatment.

papillary thyroid cancers are pretty common and pretty well behaved.

after chemotherapy, some patients have a 1-5% risk of having blood or bone marrow cancers like myelodysplasia

regular CBC blood counts can look for and monitor for this.

radiation therapy to the pelvis can increase slightly by 0.5 to 1% risk 20-30 years later of a radiation induced cancer in the pelvic area. but the risks are small

let me know if you have questions.

What symptoms of a radiation induced cancer in the pelvis might I look for? Also, if I have already had radiation in the pelvic area 27 years ago can I have any more radiation?

symptoms are not the best way to tell

radiation induced cancers in the pelvis are rare

sometimes they can be in a new bladder cancer or rectal cancer possibly

bladder cancer would cause blood in the urine

rectal cancer would cause blood in the stools. hemorrhoids can also cause bleeding in the stools.

you may be able to have more radiation possibly or surgery depending on the location and situation.