Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

Is there something to help regain sense of taste after chemo…

Is there something to...

Is there something to help regain sense of taste after chemo and radiation?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

I'm asking for a nephew.

1/17/2018
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

This is a reversible phenomenon though may take almost 6-12 months post chemotherapy and radiation therapy for taste to return back completely.

There is some benefit shown by the recent double blind control trial of the benefit by zinc for the treatment of loss of taste. So there is no harm in taking zinc supplement. Multivitamin supplement also are helpful. Following are the various measures for loss of taste sensation (termed as Ageusia);

1) Regular use of a tongue cleaner device, available at drugstores.

2) Multivitamin supplements.

3) Taste changes resulting from salivary decreased function due to chemo or radiation should resolve once salivary flow is increased. This is transient and may improve spontaneously. Medications are the commonest cause of decreased saliva.

4) Similarly, medication-induced taste disturbances can be managed with replacement or dose reduction of the offending agent, in consultation with the prescribing provider.

5) A taste dysfunction related to neurological causes is difficult to diagnose and treat. Zinc sulfate is often tried.

6) Measures such as chewing sugar-free flavored gum may be of benefit.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)