Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Once you start radiation therapy at one facility, is it a…

Once you start radiation therapy...
Once you start radiation therapy at one facility, is it a problem to complete it somewhere else? Would the radiation oncologist be able to work with the CT scan taken for 'treatment planning' from another facility? I'm guessing the second facility would have their own physicist do calculations, but am hoping they can use existing imaging to avoid even more radiation exposure.
I've received a few email alerts from JA that my question's been answered, but site still shows waiting to connect to expert.
I received a second email alert that you responded to my question, but no answer appears (it says you're working on question).
There's obviously a technical problem. There is no answer visible - and the site still says someone's working on my question.
Answered in 2 days by:
1/17/2018
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

sorry for the delay

once you start radiation at one facility, you have to complete it there

you can continue at another facility

radiation machines and radiation CT planning simulators are calibrated for each facility.

Maybe site was sending out emails that questions were answered prematurely, because I can see your response.Interesting that another JA expert responded that people change from one facility to another during radiation therapy - and that it happens at his hospital(?) all of the time.If you did need to change locations, wouldn't the radiologist at the second facility make their own treatment plan and calibrate to their equipment.

I am a radiation oncology doctor

and I know that doesn't happen all the time.

if you have to change locations, one radiation facility can send your radiation history to another facility

but they will start over with a new planning scan and create a new radiation plan for you if you have to continue radiation therapy.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
I know this is your area of expertise, and your answer is consistent with my understanding, since the calculations are so precise and calibrated to a specific machine. I guess people do things differently at some hospitals. Thanks for clarifying.

no problem