Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

DR DAVID ONLY PLEASE David. This is the girl who’s obsessed…

Customer Question
DR DAVID ONLY PLEASEHi dr...
DR DAVID ONLY PLEASEHi dr David. This is the girl who’s obsessed with her qt interval.
On Saturday morning I woke up and was feeling fine. I was laying down in bed eating a protein bar and got up to use the bathroom would I felt some vertigo. It passed rather quickly but I would get random bursts of vertigo throughout the day...when walking or moving my head quickly. Well yesterday I woke up all nervous and full of anxiety that I went to the er. The doctor did a quick clinical examination...such as touching my nose, following his fingers with eyes. He said I wasn’t having a stroke because I was afraid of that or heart attack. I told him for the past month I have been having some issues with my right ear...occasionally I will hear a high pitch in that ear only...I also had popping sounds in that ear as well. Both lasting a few seconds but definitely caught my attention. The er doctor looked at my ears and said they both look fine. He said it’s probably just something viral because I had a slight cold a couple of weeks ago. He didn’t run any blood work and refused to do an ecg because it would cause me more anxiety. Well since Saturday I’ve felt woozy, lightheaded and uneasy. My anxiety is at a all time high because I am a hypochondriac (medically diagnosed) and suffering from anxiety and depression. The past month I’ve also been on a diet to lose weight and have been going to the gym almost everyday exercising 1-2 hours. I’m eating about 1200 calories a day and have lost 10 pounds. The er doctor said to follow up with my family doctor to do a checkup especially my thyroid and to drink lots of fluids. But I’m scared that I’m having a stroke or will. My right ear has a dull ache and some pressure but he said it’s fine and I’ve been having headaches off and on but I had contributed it to my diet. I’m scared dr David. My anxiety is taking a toll on me and I don’t know don’t know what to do
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Oncology
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dr David are you able to see my question?
1/8/2018
Oncologist: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 1 month ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

you will not get a stroke.

you need to see a psychiatrist about your bad anxiety symptoms

and get on some more treatments for your bad anxiety symptoms.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What could be causing the bouts of vertigo and lightheadedness? I wasn’t anxious Saturday morning when it start suddenly? Could it be the exercising and diet? Or something with my ear? The dr said he thinks it could be something viral on my ear but he looked at my ear and said it looked fine. I’m obsessing over this now and can’t stop panicking.I see a psychiatrist ever 2 weeks or so and I’m on Zoloft and clonazepam. I made an urgent appointment to see him on Friday as well. I don’t know what else I should be doing at this point. I’m so scared about having a stroke now. I decided to try to go to the gym this morning even though I didn’t feel well but as soon as I got on public transit, I started crying and panicking and came right back home.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also I went from a pretty sedentary lifestyle to going to the gym 4-5 times a week, exercising 1-2 hours and going on a diet for the past 4 weeks

bad anxiety symptoms can cause verigo and lightheadednes.

dehydration can cause it

sinus inflammation can cause it

lack of sleep can cause it as well.

what dose of zoloft, you may need to have your dose increased

you may need to add an additional medications like aripiprazole or risperidone or quetiapine to help the zoloft work better.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I feel like I’ve been pushing myself really hard with the dieting and exercising. I’ve been constipated as well so I’ve been taking laxatives to help. I feel like I’m causing myself a lot of stress with trying to live a healthier lifestyle. O definitely don’t think I’ve been drinking enough water but I’ve definitely been drinking more now.I’m on 150mg of Zoloft and clonazepam once a day. My doctor prescribed Wellbutrin a while back but I have yet to start it because I’m afraid of the side effects

you need to work on drinking more water

talk to your psychiatrist about additional medications like aripiprazole or risperidone or quetiapine to help the zoloft work better.

I would not stress about stroke

I'm glad you are exercising. you should keep that up.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is a clinical exam like the one the er doctor gave me...such as following his finger with my finger and then pointing at my nose...holding my arms up with eyes closed, etc...is that enough to know that I’m not having a stroke? I’m so terrified. I’ve been having headaches off and on too...I’m a panicked mess
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you still online dr David?

yes, those are enough to know that you are not having a stroke

that is a neurlogical exam.

you need better treatments for your bad anxiety symptoms.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi dr David...it’s been a very rough week for me with the lightheadedness and dizziness. My anxiety has been out of control as well. I had two panic attacks and went to the ER two more times. My second visit the er doctor said he thought I had labyrinthitis...and gave me a prescription for a beta histamine (Serc) he said it was up to me whether or not I wanted to take it. Well I decided not to take it as some articles I read online say that medication can hinder recovery time. Then yesterday I had a really bad panic attack and went to the ER again. The doctor thought it was my ears as well...even though I saw a total of 3 doctors and they all say my ear drums are fine. Well I told the er doctor that I was really scared that I was having a stroke or something was going on in my brain and he reluctantly ordered a ct scan of my brain. The ct scan was normal and he told me to take the beta histamine and follow up with my family doctor. I asked him if I should use ear drops and he said no, there’s no infection. I’m still feeling unsteady and there’s some pressure and dull ache in my right ear...there’s a feeling of heaviness sort of. Would the ct scan show labyrinthitis? How is it actually diagnosed if my ears look fine when they looked at it? Should I push for an mri? Could this be something serious? This has sent my hypochondria through the roof and it’s almost making me not wanting to leave the house because I’m scared
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dr David have you seen my question above?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you able to see my question above? Thank you dr David
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dr David can you please answer my question and I will tip and rate this thread. Thanks so much

CT scan would not show labyrinthiitis

an MRI scan may not as well.

you should ask for a course of steroids to see if they would help.

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)