Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

3 days ago I went to an Urgent Care Center because I noticed…

Customer Question
3 days ago I went...
3 days ago I went to an Urgent Care Center because I noticed almost maroon type mucous blood on my stool. They did tests and my stool tested positive for blood. They did a blood test and my hemoglobin was at 16.1. They also did a Ct scan that came up negative. I've been experiencing changing diarrhea and constipation as well. Because they already did a Colonoscopy that came up negative they now want to do a pill endoscopy and an upper endoscopy. My GI doesn't think its anything serious because my ct scan came up negative and my blood work was normal. I just wanted a second opinion on the matter. Should I be concerned?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Oncology
1/7/2018
Oncologist: Dr Uzaer, Cancer Surgeon replied 1 month ago
Dr Uzaer
Dr Uzaer, Cancer Surgeon

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I agree with your physician in that if this were something serious, the CT scan and the colonoscopy would have shown something. The possibility of this being something as simple as hemorrhoids to a parasitic infection is still there and I suggest that you go ahead with the pill endoscopy as that will give us the entire view of the alimentary tract. At your age and without any additional symptoms, this being anything sinister is unlikely.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does a pill endoscopy show issues with the stomach as well or just the small intestines?

Technically, it can however, it is used to take images of the small intestines since for the stomach an upper GI endoscopy can be used very effectively. The upper GI endoscope does not reach beyond the second part of the duodenum, so the capsule endoscope is used to view parts of the intestines beyond that point.

Dr Uzaer
Dr Uzaer
Dr Uzaer, Cancer Surgeon