Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Just to state I am a 23-year-old male. I went to a walk-in…

Customer Question
Hello just to state I...
Hello just to state I am a 23-year-old male. I went to a walk-in clinic for some stomach issues, particular pain on the left side, that came out of nowhere. He told me to go to ER and get a CT scan done. The hospital did a CT scan of my stomach with contrast, and found nothing admormal, except for a 4 mm nodule on my lower lung. I then proceeded to have a CT scan done of my chest and the found 2 other nodules of around the same size. Im still having diahrrea, with some slight dull pain in the lower left side of my stomach. What are the chances that it could be stage IV colon cancer? I have experienced no blood in my stool yet and i havent been losing much weight. Should I get a colonosopy done? Is this most likely metastasized from potential colon cancer? Any input would be appreciated. Many Thanks!
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Oncology
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/27/2017
Oncologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 5 months ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Thank you very much

Two things;

A) Your symptoms of abdominal pain and diarrhea are suggestive of viral gastroenteritis (stomach flu). This is treated as following

1) PeptoBismol

2) Lomotil; may only be given if the diarrhea is vigorous.

3) Gatorade / Pedialyte

4) Plenty of fluids

5) BRAT diet; banana, rice, applesauce, toast. Vegetable broths / vegetable soups, coconut water also can help.

6) Probiotics

This does not need a colonoscopy unless symptoms persists for more than a week.

B) Your lung nodules are incidental findings and may not be clinically significant. Please read this reference resource;

http://pubs.rsna.org/doi/pdf/10.1148/radiol.2017161659

Four mm nodules are in all likely benign. These may be confirmed by a CT scan at 6 months later.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

My symptoms have lasted for longer than a week I’ve started to notice these symptoms about 3 weeks ago
I have not lost weight and I do not have any blood in my stool as I’ve bought a take home test to confirm that. My symptoms seem to switch from diarrhea to constipation and there isn’t really true painful symptoms I’m experiencing just slight dull pain

There are two things;

1) Lung nodules; these are nothing to worry and not disease process.

2) Your intestinal symptoms if persists may need following investigations as these can be due to intestinal motility disorder.

One of the commonest is called as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Following investigations may be considered (if not done);

1) The complete blood count (CBC); altered in irritable bowel disease (in whom leukocytosis / high WBC count is the more frequent result).

2) Protein electrophoresis pattern may show alterations of both albumin and globulins (especially alpha-1 and gamma globulins) in IBS.

3) Thyroid function tests; a high thyroid may cause loose and frequent bowel motions.

4) A barium meal is a helpful study in the diagnosis of intestinal motility disorders.

5) Nuclear magnetic resonance examinations are also necessary.

6) Defecography

7) Scintigraphic study of the small bowel or colonic transit time is currently most preferred investigation for your symptoms. It shows the intestinal progression of the meal.

Medications like neostigmine, bethanechol, metoclopramide, cisapride, and loperamide may help you.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)