Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I would like to know if you can help me. My sister has been…

Customer Question
Hello there I would like...
Hello there I would like to know if you can help me. My sister has been in hospital and they have done tests on her like a lymph node biopsy, bone marrow biopsy, and blood tests. My sister isn’t telling me what is wrong back all she saId to me is that she had to go as she was going to dialysis? So if you have cancer as they think that she may have then do you go on dialysis if you have cancer or is that because you have a problem with your kidneys! Her symptoms were flours buildup in her stomach and shortness of breath. Can you tell
Me if they use dialysis for cancer as well!
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Oncology
12/21/2017
Oncologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Dialysis is only used for severe kidney dysfunction or kidney failure. It is not directly used for cancer.

While dialysis is not directly used for cancer, it is true that cancer can cause kidney failure or severe kidney dysfunction. There are several mechanisms by which cancer can cause kidney dysfunction. The cancer may grow within the kidneys. The cancer may be growing in a location that affects the blood flow to the kidneys or drainage of the kidneys. Or the cancer can cause a complication that affects kidney function, such as a severe infection. When there is cancer that is causing kidney failure or severe kidney dysfunction, the dialysis will not treat the cancer; it will only help the kidney disease. There would still need to be separate direct treatment of the cancer.

However, since they did a muscle biopsy, that would suggest that there is some sort of muscle problem, and it is very possible that the muscle problem can cause kidney failure or severe kidney dysfunction. When there is significant breakdown of muscle (called rhabdomyolysis), large amounts of substances within the muscle are released into the blood stream and flow to the kidneys. Some of these substances are irritating to the kidneys and can cause kidney failure, and the primary substance from the muscle that can irritate the kidneys is myoglobin. There are many possible causes of muscle breakdown (rhabdomyolysis). It can happen in response to infection. It can be due to toxic effects or side effects of certain drugs. It can happen from inflammatory conditions affecting the muscles. A variety of metabolic conditions can also affect the muscles. The muscle biopsy can help to determine what condition is affecting the muscles.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?